Disk Utility Disappeared after upgrade?

Reaction score
I've looked pretty much everywhere for this, and nothing has even remotely given me an answer. I upgraded to Leopard on the day it came out. A group of folks and myself went with the 5 license pack and one disk, so of course, I don't even have a disk for Leopard. Well, after my upgrade, I was going to reformat an external hard drive to use on my computer.

My problem is, after my upgrade, Disk Utility disappeared! I've searched just about everywhere on my harddrive for it, and it's just not there for some strange reason. What would I be able to do to get it back? All I want to do is reformat a hard drive, and that seems to be the only way to do it. I'm not near a mac store that I can run up and have something done. I also have Applecare on my laptop as well. I'm running a Macbook 13.3 inch, and I've had it for about a year and 6 months. If anyone can point me in the right direction, or even tell me how I can reformat a hard drive without having to use disk utility, that would be great!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without Disk Utility or third party software you will be unable to reformat the external hard drive to HFS +. However, if you're wanting to reformat the drive to FAT-32, you could use a Windows utility from a PC.

You say you upgraded to Leopard. What was your previous OS? How about booting the machine with the original install DVD and run Disk Utility that way?

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Got it figured out. I found a PC program that let me mac format. I got the drive fixed up and working! I went from 10.4 to 10.5, so it wasn't even a big upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
TRy asking one of your friends to put it on a usb stick for you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.