The new MacBook and MacBook Pros - your thoughts, questions and concerns...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Since we've beaten this thread to death, I thought it might be a good idea to start up a new thread in the appropriate forum to continue the discussion...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Haha beaten to death indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro March 2008; 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4gb DDR2 ram, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 8600GT 256mb
I was heavily considering selling my March 08 MBP and just paying the difference for the new ones. After extensively playing with them at work, I must say it would be nice to upgrade but it is not really worth it. I decided to just bump up the ram to 4gb and up the HDD to 320GB 7200rpm.

The new MBP look nice, but the glossy screen and the macbook style keyboards are a personal turnoff. The mousepad takes a little bit of getting used to and even then I thought the tap to click was way over sensitive. The unibody style though is a great feature, I thought it felt amazing, such clean lines. But I still love the old style MBP, its just a classic now.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. I'm quite happy with my April 2008 MacBook Pro. There's really been no significant updates, aside from the design (which I do love). We'll see how well this thing holds up. If I decide to do AppleCare, I think I'll wait it out for the full 3 years and see what's available at that time.

I think I'd be all over the new MacBook (not Pro) if it just had FW400 - it doesn't even need to be FW800, I just want to be able to attach my miniDV cam.

Reaction score
For myself, I'm thinking of getting the new Alum MBP. Would be my first personally owned mac. Then again, I still haven't bought it. Just the urge.

My biggest worry would be that it won't be good enough for me to last an entire uni career. I'm not very good to sticking to something for a very long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would probably consider upgrading once my AppleCare is up on my current Macbook, which isn't for another year. By then the new manufacturing process will have ironed out any issues along with any other kinks that the current batch might have.

Plus, I recently upgraded my RAM and hard drive, it would be a waste to upgrade to the new Macbook now ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
The Difference is worth it :)

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should email Steve Jobs regarding this...

Jobs Responds to Angry Customer about No FireWire Port

I don't care enough about the issue to do so. Apple made a conscious decision to eliminate the FW port, most likely as a way to further separate the "Pro" from the standard MacBook. Right now, my machine suits me just fine. Assuming the model lines stay the same, I'll be looking at another MacBook Pro in 3 years or so. Sure, I'd rather have the MacBook, but if it doesn't suit my needs, I'll shell out for the Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I don't care enough about the issue to do so. Apple made a conscious decision to eliminate the FW port, most likely as a way to further separate the "Pro" from the standard MacBook. Right now, my machine suits me just fine. Assuming the model lines stay the same, I'll be looking at another MacBook Pro in 3 years or so. Sure, I'd rather have the MacBook, but if it doesn't suit my needs, I'll shell out for the Pro.
Spoken as a true Apple lover!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm getting the new Macbook soon. I might miss the firewire occasionally, but I can always use my work Macbook or my girlfriend's if I really need access to firewire...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I haven't read the other thread, but am curious to know if anyone has brought up whether or not the video card (s) upgrade in and of its self is worth its weight in the market ? The omission of FW on the standard MB's I think is causing a lot of people to feel alienated, and don't understand the move (yes, I've read Job's explanation and it doesn't wash w/me), quite frankly. It wouldn't take much to keep one port on there.

Outside of all that, i think the Pro's are beautiful looking machines, but don't like not having the option for a matte screen.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spoken as a true Apple lover!

Software, yes. Hardware, not so much. If it were legal, I'd be typing this on a Dell XPS M1330 in a hot minute. Given a lack of other legal options for running OS X, I'm resigned to the Apple hardware platform that suits my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz Dual Core 15" MBP | 2.2GHz Quad-Core i7 17" MBP | iPod Classic 32GB | iPod Touch 64GB
I'm getting the new Macbook soon. I might miss the firewire occasionally, but I can always use my work Macbook or my girlfriend's if I really need access to firewire...

I'm coming from a PC to a Macbook so firewire isn't much to me at all. Its not even a big deal, but if it were a big deal I'd get the Macbook pro. Macbook Pro is just bigger than what I actually need for a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I ended up buying my white MB right after the releases.

If there were refurbished ones at around $1000 then maybe I'd pull the trigger, but the white MB is more than perfect for most. I'm a fan of the styling of the new MBs, but only a 2.0 ghz, no back lit keyboard, $1300 here in Canada, all for a nVidia gfx card? Not worth it imo... I'm an avid gamer and I was considering it, but gaming on a 13" screen that will be "OK" ain't worth it.

I'd be all over it if it was offering the 2.4 at $1200-$1300 instead of $1700. Its nice, but the upgrades don't go hand in hand with the price, atleast for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.