Office 2008 problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Has anyone else had this problem? I figured out what was wrong...

My Office Updater was stuck in an infinite loop trying to update the updater. It keep popping up that 2.1.1 was needed even after I had installed it. I figured out the one it wrote into the library was changing, but the link in the apps folder wasn't. So I copied the one in the library folder over to the app folder and replaced it. This did the trick and it updates fine. Apparently the failure of the Updater was it's inability to write the updated files into the application folder. **** Microsoft...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That has been posted on the Microsoft Mac Office site for quite some time. Lots of other good stuff there also. Pay them a visit and peruse the Mac Office Forums.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
Ive had this same problem but im awful with computers. How do you get the link from the library and where do you post it in the apps folder?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Ive had this same problem but im awful with computers. How do you get the link from the library and where do you post it in the apps folder?

First, go to your Applications folder, right click on the item and Get Info, it should say it is at 2.0.0, if it's at 2.1.1, then all is well.

You have to click on the Boot Volume in the left Finder Pane, go to bootvolume->/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/

Second, do a right click then Get Info on the updater App in that folder. If it says 2.1.1, then the update is done in the root library. Then, copy the updater app in that folder, then open your ~/applications folder, and paste it. Then, right click the updater in the Applications folder and check to see if it changed to 2.1.1, if it did, run updater and should start to patch the Office version to 12.1.0. Apparently, the bug they fixed with the 2.1.1 version of Updater was the fact that it did not write the correct files into the Applications folder when updating, it only updated the root library.

I've always defended Microsoft Office and Productivity software saying that it's the only thing they do very well, but this is a really bad programming mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kay firstly, when i go to the applications folder and click the version is 12.1.3.
I went to the auto-updater and the version was 2.2.0. I did the rest of the steps anyway and nothing happened. Is mine just broken?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Kay firstly, when i go to the applications folder and click the version is 12.1.3.
I went to the auto-updater and the version was 2.2.0. I did the rest of the steps anyway and nothing happened. Is mine just broken?

You are all up to date by the sounds of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It still gets stuck in that loop, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.