Copy/Paste a picture/image issue?

Reaction score
I feel silly asking this, but i'm so new to Mac and I canNOT for the life of me figure out how to do this. Say, I want to copy an image from Ebay into my journal OR a pic from Shutterfly into an email. Command-C/Command-V does not work for me. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I usually just right-click on the image, then select copy image, then you can paste it. Or you can use Control-click on the image to bring up the sub-menu.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You should be able to select the image and drag it around. Click on the image and hold the button down. Move the mouse slightly to make sure you have a hold of it. You should then be able to drag and drop it wherever you want.

Also, if you right click/control click/two finger click (your choice) the picture, you should be able to select "Save Image As"...

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for your replies.

Ok, I tried both methods... when i try to copy an image off of ebay to another forum-whether I drag it or Copy Image, i only get the link with the address in the post, NOT the pic.

Pasting it into email worked when I dragged the pic, but Copy Image didn't.

Any ideas?

OP
L
Reaction score
oh, and if i Copy Image when I want to copy Shutterfly pics into email, they show up as pics originally, but when the email is sent (i sent a test to myself), they show up only as file names, not even links.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the "save image as" option.

OP
L
Reaction score
Try the "save image as" option.
i would have to save the image to my computer and copy it from there, correct?

I'm really trying to avoid it, if at all possible, because to me, it seems like double work. Imagine-I get pics on my computer, upload them to Shutterfly so they are saved on line and resized, and then, to email them or post them online, I have to resave them back to my computer just to post them? Same with a quick "Hey, look what I found on Ebay" for a forum-have to save, then get it off of the computer just to post a quick thought.. seems nightmarish to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would have to save the image to my computer and copy it from there, correct?
Correct. You can always use a Temporary folder to store them in. After you don't need them, delete them. A pain, I know, but it would work...
Also, once they're saved online, you should be able to link to them. (i.e. public access):Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just opened up an auction on ebay. I also opened a blank document in Word 2008. I click/dragged an image from the ebay page and dropped it in the Word document. It appeared in the document as an image.

What email program are you using?

Try dropping a different image from Safari into another program--Word, Pages, Keynote, whatever. If it works than it's an issue with your email program. If it doesn't work, than you may not be copying it correctly.

OP
L
Reaction score
I use Yahoo. I wonder if it'll work in Gmail, i'll try. Is there something I could do to configure Yahoo for this?

I dragged a Shutterfly pic and an Ebay pic into Word, it worked ok. I also attached it to an email, the attachment came through fine, as wel, but of course, it's a huge pain in the butt to send pics like this. There has GOT to be an easy way to do this??

An unrelated question.... do all Macbooks come with iPhoto or do you have to buy it? I got my Macbook a month ago and it was 3 months old, I was under impression that iLife comes with every Macbook and mine doesn't have it?

OP
L
Reaction score
also, is it possible to drag a pic from one tab into the other, opened on the same window? Like, if i have Shutterfly opened and the mail client as two tabs, can i drag pics?or do i need to open one of those in a new window completely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not familiar with Yahoo or Gmail, but this should work for the Mail app, as well as Entourage. There may be some limitations to the Yahoo web interface.

On my MB, I use the F9 key to activate Expose (I think it's a different key on other models). It works well for clicking and dragging just about anything.

Click and drag, but don't release the button. Activate Expose, which gives a thumbnail of all open windows. Hover the mouse over the window you want to paste into and after a second this window will be brought to the top. Then release the button.

It's a little different than Windows, but it's quick once you get used to it.

OP
L
Reaction score
The pic drag from Shutterfly does work with the Mail app! thank you! At least i now know i can use that to email pics when needed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.