BOOTCAMP: installing windows help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
so i set up my partition via bootcamp on OSX leopard...

so when the computer reboots

i press ENTER

i press F8 to accept the lic agreement

then i select my bootcamp partition

HERE MY PROBLEM:

i have a new choices:

NTSF quick
NTSF
convert into NTSF
some like keep it the same (i forgot wt it said exactly)

so i choose the last one, and it installs and when i reboot, it has a "DISK ERROR"

(or some kinda error)

should i just try to install it as NTSF?

or can someone explain what those 4 options are?

pleaes?

thx in adv

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Basically, you're being prompted to format your Windows install partition. You can choose to format it as NTFS or leave it intact (which would be FAT32). These are different kinds of filesystems that Windows uses. The Boot Camp Assistant formats the partition as FAT32 by default, since that's the most compatible filesystem between the Mac and Windows. It does have some limitations, however (like you can't have a file larger than 4G in size).

The Quick Format option merely formats in NTFS by making changes to the partition map. Doing a full NTFS format actually formats the partition sector-by-sector.

By the way, it sounds like OS installation is new to you. As such, I'd HIGHLY recommend that you print out and read the instructions that are offered to you by the Boot Camp Assistant during the partition configuration process. They cover all of the steps from start to finish.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
ok well, i figured out why i was getting the error....

i was setting my windows partition as 100GB...and the "leave in tact (which would be FAT32) is ONLY LIMITED TO 32GB... so my 100GB is too big

so i will just format into NTSF

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok well, i figured out why i was getting the error....

i was setting my windows partition as 100GB...and the "leave in tact (which would be FAT32) is ONLY LIMITED TO 32GB... so my 100GB is too big

so i will just format into NTSF

Back up a second. You set your partition size in Boot Camp Assistant, not when you're actually installing Windows. If you remove or format other partitions, you are likely killing off your OS X partition (probably not what you want to be doing).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
ok last question for my dumb noob.ness please bare with me...

if i remember correctly, when running OSX, i couldnt access my windows C drive because OSX can only READ NTSF, and not WRITE on it...

i searched around and found something about a "MacFUSE-Core-10.5-1.5.1.dmg"

and that would help correct my issue?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
Back up a second. You set your partition size in Boot Camp Assistant, not when you're actually installing Windows. If you remove or format other partitions, you are likely killing off your OS X partition (probably not what you want to be doing).

yea, that is correct, i will run bootcamp assistant, and set my partition to (lets say) 100gb. then it ask me for teh install xp disc and it automatically runs byitself.

i just need to choose the "BOOTCAMP" partition to format into NTSF...right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, that is correct, i will run bootcamp assistant, and set my partition to (lets say) 100gb. then it ask me for teh install xp disc and it automatically runs byitself.

i just need to choose the "BOOTCAMP" partition to format into NTSF...right?

Correct. And it's NTFS, by the way, which stands for New Technology File System.

To answer your other question, you are correct, Mac OS X natively supports READ ONLY operations on NTFS formatted drives. If you want WRITE support as well, you'll need a different FS driver. Although MacFUSE can be made to work, it has its share of problems - and can be difficult to configure. If you're really serious about it, check out Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.