G4 processor question???

Reaction score
Will the processors from the Quicksilver and MDD Macs work with the old G4 models such as my DP gigabit ethernet? I'm seeing some good deals on the dual 867 MHz G4s going on ebay for less than $50. I'd like to purchase one as it would allow me to run Leopard however I am unsure if it will work with my Gigabit. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No different format and bus speed altogether and the processors just would not fit either.

OP
A
Reaction score
What other options do I have other than buying a OWC processor ($175 for a single 1 GHz processor?!)

I am considering buying a newer video card to replace the ATI Rage 128. I looked at a GeForce4 MX 64MB card on ebay for $40 which I thought was a pretty decent price and I think it would help my computer in rendering more complex images online and maybe help smooth out animations on some web sites that seems to bog down my system. I would however really like to upgrade the dual 450 MHz G4 processors.

P.S. I've maxed the RAM out to 2 GB which has helped speed the system up substantially.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OWC has some very fair prices on the upgrade CPU's as remember they are brand new. I would check Ebay and look for an upgrade CPU for your machine from Sonnet, Giga Designs, and the other brands you see on OWC. You might find a good deal if you keep looking.

Otherwise, Harry covered the rest and is dead on. You can not use the MDD CPU's in that older G4 Gigabit or even Sawtooth or Digital Audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think it would help my computer in rendering more complex images online and maybe help smooth out animations on some web sites that seems to bog down my system.

Unlikely. Even the old ATI Rage 16Mb in my dad's PC can display smooth animations on websites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
what computer do you want to run leopard on? Will work with quicksilver dual 800 and 1 gig of ram, I have this os on one right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.