How does 1GB hold up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I should be recieving my MB tomorrow with the standard 1GB ram (if it doesn't come upgraded!) and I'm wondering when to upgrade. In the long run, no doubt will I end up purchasing 4GB of RAM from Crucial, but how well will my 1GB hold up? I'm looking to be ripping CDs some times while internet surfing... will that hold up??

My options are either try and search for pennies to come up with the $100 now or wait a couple of months (3 to be exact).

Thanks

Reaction score
I bought 4 gigs of Crucial memory from Mwave.com for $50. Crucial themselves sell it for more so look elsewhere (newegg, mwave, etc.). 1 gig will be fine if you're just going to be ripping and surfing the net, but 2+ will be much smoother especially since integrated graphics share the system memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1GB isn't that bad, but 2GB is definitely the sweet spot.

Not sure where you're getting that $100 figure, you can upgrade to 2GB for less than $40.

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're referring to the white macbooks. You should've just upgraded to 2GB, it would've only been for $75 more. 2GB really is the sweet spot. If you wanted, you could've also found the RAM for even cheaper on newegg and got 1 stick of 2GB RAM and if you wanted to upgrade to 4GB in the future you'd just need to buy another. A problem with Apple's RAM config is that they use 2 stick configs rather than 1 so if you wanted to upgrade to 2GB / 4GB you'd have to buy a whole new RAM kit rather than just another stick of RAM for an empty slot.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I'm guessing you're referring to the white macbooks. You should've just upgraded to 2GB, it would've only been for $75 more. 2GB really is the sweet spot. If you wanted, you could've also found the RAM for even cheaper on newegg and got 1 stick of 2GB RAM and if you wanted to upgrade to 4GB in the future you'd just need to buy another. A problem with Apple's RAM config is that they use 2 stick configs rather than 1 so if you wanted to upgrade to 2GB / 4GB you'd have to buy a whole new RAM kit rather than just another stick of RAM for an empty slot.

I would have if I had bought it new... this machine is refurbished.

It looks like I'll just end up buying a 2GB stick and then when I acquire more money I will buy another 2GB.

Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Eh...You'd be amazed at how efficient 1GB is on the MacBook...
Because a MacBook has a dual core processor, it processes information 200% faster than a single core processor. The type of activity you have described yourself doing on a computer will be well taken care of by a MacBook with 1GB of RAM - even if it's 1.83GHz.
You're just wasting money upgrading to 2GB. Save up for the 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
A dual core processes information 200% faster? Not quite. You're still limited by the single set of everything else.

And no, he's not really wasting money upgrading 2GB, the performance improvement is actually noticeable when going from 1GB to 2GB.

Reaction score
I bought 4GB of Kingston RAM from newegg.com for $69 shipped to my door.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC BOOK 13in
it hold up good i have mine for a year and my hard drive full 80gb macbook it hold up amazin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.