Whats an SSD drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I know there are 5600 RPM and 7200 RPM drives, even 15,000 RPM, but whats an SSD?

And please don't go and give me the wikipedia definition because I've looked at it and it doesn't really help.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's basically like a HDD drive but faster, and it doesn't have any moving parts because it uses flash memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
An SSD drive means Solid State Drive. There are no moving parts to break and this is ideal for a laptop. I believe it uses the same technology as a flash drive, using coordinates somehow.

Edit: Sorry Crimson beat me to it.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Thanks to both of you.

So instead of that little arm searching the whole HD like normal ones, this is basically just sitting right there, similar to certain iPods??

And I'm guessing this is far superior, considering the steep price.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would hold out on getting an SSD because they are quite expensive right now and they are still in the "development stage."

Samsung is coming out with 256GB ones towards the end of this year. I might get them depending on the pricing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
go play with a MacBook Air with an SSD at your local Apple store or retailer. they boot up faster, they move files faster, they are faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
go play with a MacBook Air with an SSD at your local Apple store or retailer. they boot up faster, they move files faster, they are faster.
whether it's worth the cost or not (yet) will still be based on what you're doing with it ...

Reaction score
The SSD on MacBook Air may be faster, but it's not so much on dirt cheap netbooks such as the Acer Aspire One, particularly the one with 8GB SSD. The SSD on that set is so slow you want to toss it out the window, pun intended.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SSD on MacBook Air may be faster, but it's not so much on dirt cheap netbooks such as the Acer Aspire One, particularly the one with 8GB SSD. The SSD on that set is so slow you want to toss it out the window, pun intended.

I think that is due to the fact that those SSD were the first generation ones. SSD are still in development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

It might not do much damage if you throw it out the window. I saw a video by Samsung where they throw a SSD off a three storey building and it still works when they test it in a laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.