Connecting to a wireless network on my new macbook.

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I just got a new 2.0Ghz macbook today and I cant connect to my wireless network. I am using a WRT54G router. I am thinking that the macbook wont even pick up the wireless signal because it is a g router. What do you think? Can I solve this problem without buying a new router. And if i must buy a new one, do all n routers support g devices? Thanks in advance for your help.

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
should work perfect with G, can you see your network? yes N is backward compatible, so no issues,

OP
N
Reaction score
When I go to network assistant. I cant select the wireless option. Its grayed out. whats going on?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's actually very simply to connect to a wireless network. In your menu bar, near the clock, there should be an icon that looks like a fan. Click on it and it should display a list of wireless networks. Find the name of your wireless network and click on it. It should prompt you for the password or key you configured when you setup your router. Enter it and you should be good to go.

Macs use standard 802.11x wireless protocols, so you may use just about any 802.11x router.

OP
N
Reaction score
I looked in the top right corner for an icon that looks similar to a fan and there isnt one. And when I hover my cursor over the icons in doesnt show any wireless options.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I'm referring to. You must click on it to see the wireless options.

2008-10-27_2151.png

OP
N
Reaction score
its honestly not there. I only see the time machine icon, bluetooth,battery and sound icons. Do I have to turn the wireless on somehow? When I go into Network un system preferences there is no option on the left side for wireless and when I run the network setup assistant the option of airport wireless is grayed out. Its brand new i dont understand.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its honestly not there. I only see the time machine icon, bluetooth,battery and sound icons. Do I have to turn the wireless on somehow? When I go into Network un system preferences there is no option on the left side for wireless and when I run the network setup assistant the option of airport wireless is grayed out. Its brand new i dont understand.

Go into System Preferences => Network, click on AirPort in the left window pane. Check the box that says "Show Airport status in the menu bar":

2008-10-27_2217.png

OP
N
Reaction score
under an automatic location. I have the option of showing the modem status in th menu bar. No mention or box with airport anywhere. I have a WRT54G Linkysis router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afraid you have a defective Airport card. Schedule an appointment with Apple to have it looked at.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for clarifying this with me. I am so relieved. I thought i was just doing something wrong.

Nope. If the AirPort card was functional, you should see an entry for it in that left window pane referenced above. My guess is that the card was unseated in shipping or simply DOA. It should be a fairly simple fix.

My advice would be that if you take it to an Apple store and they insist on shipping it to a repair depot, that you ask them for a straight-up replacement. With a machine that new, they should have no problem doing so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.