iMac problems with CD-RWs (Iomega USB and LaCie FireWire)

H

HelpMyiMac

iMac Power PC 750 slot loader, PCG3 400 MHz, OS X 10.3.7. I bought an Iomega CD-RW 52x USB that allows me to write to a CD but not rewrite; and I also bought a LaCie FireWire CD-RW; this device won't mount. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I had an Iomega CD writer that OS X could not recognise .

To get round the problem I bought a product called "Discribe" online.
On Discribes site you can download a trial version that let's you do 5 burns to check compatability with your writer.

This link should give you what you need
http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/625/

Hope this helps
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you know you have to erase a cdrw first, right? as far as the lacie, check system profiler to see if it shows as being connected to the firewire port, if not, try connecting another firewire device to the same port, if not, your firewire port is out, if it shows up, the problem is with the lacie burner, try another firewire cable or call lacie and get your burner replaced.

OP
S

stujay

Using CD-RW

Macman said:
you know you have to erase a cdrw first, right? as far as the lacie, check system profiler to see if it shows as being connected to the firewire port, if not, try connecting another firewire device to the same port, if not, your firewire port is out, if it shows up, the problem is with the lacie burner, try another firewire cable or call lacie and get your burner replaced.

I'm new to macs, and I'm having trouble with CD-RW, too. My Imac G5 (with Superdrive) treats the CD-RW disk as if it's a CD-R disk. I tried erasing it with the disk utility, then dragging a file onto the blank disk (which is displayed as "CD-R," and I still only get the "burn" option. Once I burn, the disk can't be burned again.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

OP
H

HelpMyiMac

Macman said:

OK, I am both a PC and Mac user--on my PC I don't have to completely erase a CDRW disk in order to overwrite a file on the disk. Is this a difference between Macs and PCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you have to erase it first, or you can write a multisession disc, but you have to set it as a multisession disc at first burn.

OP
H

HelpMyiMac

pphking said:
I had an Iomega CD writer that OS X could not recognise .

To get round the problem I bought a product called "Discribe" online.
On Discribes site you can download a trial version that let's you do 5 burns to check compatability with your writer.

This link should give you what you need
http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/625/

Hope this helps
Paul

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I've solved my Iomega problem with Toast Lite, still not getting my LaCie FireWire to work. Again, thanks for replying. -- Alan

OP
H

HelpMyiMac

Macman said:

Thanks, Macman, for all your replies. I am smarter about CDRWs now, eh? When I erase the disk first my Iomega CDRW works as it should, I still need to look in the Toast user's manual on how to set up for multisession recording. With regard to my LaCie, this is the second one of these machines I have tried on my FireWire port, so I'm thinking the port is no good. Again, thanks for your help, I think I'm done. Have a great day! -- Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Your welcome Alan

Paul

OP
H

HelpMyiMac

In order to get my LaCie CDRW to work I had to download a firmware update from the LaCie web site. The firmware update didn't work unless you press the OPTION key when you start up the updater; when you see the message "erasing" you can let go. Then the firmware updater works, the CD mounts, and the drive is recognized in About This Mac. There is also a recent Mac LaCie software update that you have to download; it is on the LaCie site under SUPPORT...OPTICAL.

You should know that before calling LaCie tech support I upgraded the iMac firmware to 4.1.9, reset PRAM, repaired permissions, and reset the logic board by removing and replacing the battery. It was only after doing all these things that I called LaCie tech support. I had unsatisfying e-mail exchanges with them earlier, but a smart person suggested that phone support might be better. It was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.