• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Convert .flv to .mov?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
I am a teacher and would like to show some YouTube videos in my Keynote presentations. However, our school blocks YouTube. I can get the YouTube video off the site, but it is in .flv format. How do I convert it to .mov or another format to get it to play in keynote? Are there any free programs (since my school won't pay for it)? Thank you!!

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Thank you very much! I am trying it but it keeps saying the download filed. Is this common? Should I just keep trying over and over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Quicktime Pro will convert .flv to .mov very simply. Drag the .flv file to QTP (not sure if the basic version does this), and then Save As, where you will be prompted to do so as a .mov or a reference movie. I have a feeling you may need Perian to assist QT.

Reaction score
I have just discovered the joys of QT and particularly the Perian plugin. You can do anything with Perian! No more mucking around with online converters (which are always busy or slow or down) to convert flv videos or any other format. Perian is the most amazing plugin you can get with QT. I can't believe I've never heard of it til now. Used in conjunction with the Fast Video Download plugin for Firefox. You can download and convert any video on youtube or elsewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.