Where's the Mini DisplayPort-to-Video adapter?

Reaction score
Where's the Mini DisplayPort-to-Composite/S-Video adapter?

I don't know if anyone has realized this but when Apple updated the Macbooks and Pros they didn't make a Mini DisplayPort-to-Video adapter for them, like they did for the previous gen Macbooks and Pros. I thought it just wasn't stated at the conference but was there but to my avail it isn't there.

This may be a problem for some. If I bought the new Macbook this would definitely be a problem for me. For those of you who don't know, this is the cable which allows you to connect the yellow video/S-Video cable from your Macbook to another device. Apple can't say that this isn't needed because it isn't that hard to make and it is extremely useful, especially when showing a movie from your Macbook to your TV. I won't be buying a new Macbook till next October/November but if A Composite/S-Video adapter doesn't show up by then, I'll just have to go without showing videos from my laptop to my TV. This was a major advantage that Macbooks had over PCs last gen and before.

Where is it? Is Apple planning on making one any time soon?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but there are a myriad of adapter cables available for the current and previous line of MacBook machines. You can go from the mini DVI port to standard DVI, VGA, or HDMI. Likewise from mini DVI to video (yellow) + audio (red, white), and also S-Video.

Apple sells several of these adapter cables direct but most can be purchased from any on line seller. Do a Google search.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but there are a myriad of adapter cables available for the current and previous line of MacBook machines. You can go from the mini DVI port to standard DVI, VGA, or HDMI. Likewise from mini DVI to video (yellow) + audio (red, white), and also S-Video.

Apple sells several of these adapter cables direct but most can be purchased from any on line seller. Do a Google search.

Regards.

I'm not trying to sound rude but it's YOU who needs to do the research, not me. The new Macbooks have all the video adapters the last gen Macbooks had except two: The dual display adapter and Composite/S-Video adapter. The composite video adapter is missing from the new Macbooks. YOU do the google search for mini DisplayPort to Video adapter and tell me what you find. Ask anyone where the Composite/S-Video adapter for the new Macbooks are because there isn't one.

P.S. If you didn't know the new Macbooks don't use mini DVI anymore. The Macbooks and Pros now use Mini DisplayPort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I searched around and it doesn't look like there's one available. The only workaround I've seen so far is that you can get a mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter and then hook into it a VGA to composite/S-video adapter.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Kash. I've read that Mini DisplayPort supports analog signals (S-Video and Composite) but the big question is: Why didn't Apple include it AND will it be released in the near future? This will be a big thing for a lot of new Macbook owners who love watching movies on their TVs.

Reaction score
Hopefully they will release an adapter. Already bad enough that the mini-displayport doesn't support audio streaming which is a disappointment for me since HDMI already has support these features.

They really enjoy making it hard for the customers don't they.

Reaction score
Just wondering how often you really used that feature for you to be complaining about something that really doesn't seem to be that big of an issue, Because the easiest workaround would be to just buy a blank dvd and burn it. Either way if you've downloaded the movie it's just as illegal as if you burn it to dvd. Not trying to sound mean or harsh, I just dont think that's a big issue sorry but that's just me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just wondering how often you really used that feature for you to be complaining about something that really doesn't seem to be that big of an issue, Because the easiest workaround would be to just buy a blank dvd and burn it. Either way if you've downloaded the movie it's just as illegal as if you burn it to dvd. Not trying to sound mean or harsh, I just dont think that's a big issue sorry but that's just me.

I find it interesting that you bring up pirating stuff when no one here even mentioned anything relatively close to that.

Reaction score
I find it interesting that you bring up pirating stuff when no one here even mentioned anything relatively close to that.

Not stating it as a pirating issue, I am not the police and I don't care about that I have no stock in any of the movie companies or anything close to it. I just said it to state my point that if you want to watch the movies on your computer on your tv if you don't have any connections to make it possible just burn it to dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Burning it to a DVD is a waste of time and blank DVDs, but that's not the point. The point is that Apple went ahead and stopped producing something for no good reason. It's not as though the mini DisplayPort can't handle the composite adapter, so the question is why would Apple not make one? It's not as though the company would have a hard time to selling them, there are a good number of people out there who are really ticked off that they can't do what they've been doing for a long time.

Just because YOU can't think of a reason for it doesn't mean there's no use for it. I personally don't use the composite adapter either, but I can see that there are a good number of people out there who need it, and not just for watching movies.

Reaction score
Not everyone wants to have a pile of discs when they already have a digital copy. Not to mention, not everything can be burned. What about all the DRM infected media?

Reaction score
I completely agree with both of you that posted above me, Like i stated I was just saying a simple workaround not trying to get everyone agitated and flaming me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm not trying to sound rude but it's YOU who needs to do the research, not me. The new Macbooks have all the video adapters the last gen Macbooks had except two: The dual display adapter and Composite/S-Video adapter. The composite video adapter is missing from the new Macbooks. YOU do the google search for mini DisplayPort to Video adapter and tell me what you find. Ask anyone where the Composite/S-Video adapter for the new Macbooks are because there isn't one.

P.S. If you didn't know the new Macbooks don't use mini DVI anymore. The Macbooks and Pros now use Mini DisplayPort.

You sir are very correct. They are not offering the Composite/S-Video adapter for the new Mini Display port. Maybe if enough people YELL they might come out with one. I use one here at the house and need it for my work. Besides the missing Firewire port, that is my 2nd gripe.

Reaction score
You sir are very correct. They are not offering the Composite/S-Video adapter for the new Mini Display port. Maybe if enough people YELL they might come out with one. I use one here at the house and need it for my work. Besides the missing Firewire port, that is my 2nd gripe.

About the firewire port from what I have read they want ppl to buy the mbp to have the firewire option, because again from what I have read they think that just basic users purchase the macbook and the professionals will purchase the pro. And there again the "basic user" don't need the firewire port. Which we all know to be untrue.

OP
L
Reaction score
Burning DVDs is a waste of time, especially when you have 20 movies on your laptop that you'd wanna watch on a bigger screen at any time, without waiting. In a way I understand how the firewire people must feel when you have something taken away that you valued in the previous laptop. It really does limit you in a number of ways. I guess I'll have to get VGA for my TV up at University and then just use my old projector to watch movies. I'd much rather just use composite though. If they don't come out with a composite cable by next November then this'll be my solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
MACBOOK AND PRO S-Video Composite display problems

hi guys the other major issue with this non existent adapter is for the mobile video professional who needs the adapter to do correct color balancing in Final Cut Pro using CRT TV screens as the Macbook Pro is sold as a professional machine how do the mobile Professionals get around this. I bought a VGA to S-Video adapter from China and it does not work with the new Macbook Pro so at the moment i will have to keep looking and hoping some 3rd party will make this adapter for the new range of Apple Pro laptops.

OP
L
Reaction score
Oh boy, there's another problem that Apple needs to look at. If Professionals don't like it then Apple will really have a problem.

Reaction score
I now that this is only a work around, but can't you buy a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI and a DVI-to-Composite adapter?

OP
L
Reaction score
That's a good idea but we need someone to test it and see if it works first before we can call it a legit work-around solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now that this is only a work around, but can't you buy a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI and a DVI-to-Composite adapter?

Check post #4 in this thread ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.