Where's the Mini DisplayPort-to-Video adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
no video out

i have tried the mini display port to VGA and used a VGA to s-video and composite adapter this did not work the TV would not get the signal the adapter found a display and acted like there was a TV there but no picture was displayed. the other problem is that if you try the other way from the DVD-D port the normal DVI-I adapter to video won't fit the adapter. I have the luxury of working in a Apple reseller store In Australia and can test all these products without purchase and i can't see any thing on the market yet that will solve this problem. so i will have to keep my old PowerBook G4 as a device to send movies and videos to the TV. until apple or a third party make an adapter from the mini display port straight to video ( composite ).:Shouting:

Reaction score
Here is the bottom line: Apple is a premium company selling you a premium product at a somewhat inflated price. You are paying more for better quality. However, they do not see fit to include a necessary adapter as part of the accessories?

I do not mind paying a bit of a premium for ergonomics and design, as well as usability for the OS. It just seems a tad cheap of them to add to their bottom line by making people who are paying for their premium product shell out extra on top of that in order to have the full usability and expandability of their product. If this were DVI, mini DVI, or vga, I would understand not including any accessories as these are fairly standard. However, when implementing a new standard like this it would make better sense to include the adapter. Count me in as one who would rather pay the extra however much upfront and have the cable or adapter included. It saves a lot of hassle and Apple still gets its bottom line.

Reaction score
i have tried the mini display port to VGA and used a VGA to s-video and composite adapter this did not work the TV would not get the signal the adapter found a display and acted like there was a TV there but no picture was displayed.

Could this be a resolution issue? Anyone try using SwitchResX to adjust the resolution after making the hookup. I found the following post which may provide some details:
Switchres X Tutorial - AVS Forum

-w0den

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB RAM
It amazes me how some people offer advice when they either don't fully comprehend the problem, or simply have no clue what their talking about. The person who started this thread (livinitup1) was right on point. He is absolutely correct. At this point, Apple is not offering a Mini Display to Composite/S-Video adapter as they did for the previous gen MacBook Pro for their DVI. Contrary to what at least one person posted on this thread, the new MacBook Pro does not have a Mini DVI port, it is a Mini Display port, which is completely different. So please make sure you know what you're talking about before you put out information.

I work as a Video DJ incorporating my MacBook Pro with turntables using software called Serato. The MacBooks tend to work much better for this than do PC's. I purchased the previous gen MacBook Pro for this purpose and it works flawlessly.

A friend of mine who has also started to DJ using video just purchased the newest model MacBook Pro for this same purpose. I was very surprised to see that the above mentioned adapter was not available for his new MacBook. After verifying with an Apple sales associate on the phone, I thought that I had resolved the problem. My solution was to advise my friend to buy the Mini Display to DVI adapter along with a DVI to composite/S-Video adapter.

After setting up at the club last night with his new MacBook Pro, we attempted to connect the two adapters together and to our surprise, they actually would not fit. We didn't know it, but Apple had included a Mini Display to DVI adapter with the computer, so we actually had an extra one to try. Even though they looked like they should, neither adapter would physically connect to the DVI to composite/S-Video adapter and therefore the night of Video DJ'n that we had promised our customers was not possible. This was very embarrassing to say the least and the club owner was not happy at all. This is a terrible error on Apple's part and it's totally inexcusable.

So, to those people who thought there was little or no need for a Mini Display to composite/S-Video adapter, clearly you are wrong. There's also the fact that he would also like to be able to connect to his Plasma TV at home for various reasons, not limited to watching movies. Aside from that, why are some people giving opinions about what other people may or may not want, especially when you clearly don't know. Why would Apple have made the adapter for the previous Gens if nobody would need them? Why would people be posting about this problem in the first place if the adapter wasn't needed?

If anyone has a solution for this, please let me know. My friend will have no choice but to send the MacBook Pro back to Apple if he can't find a solution in the next few days. Does anyone know where he can buy a new MacBook Pro of the previous Gen that is new and not refurbished?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5
Can't help with the adapter problem on the current gen mbp, but if a previous gen model is the final solution, take a look at MacMall. They are closing out the previous generation mbp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
After setting up at the club last night with his new MacBook Pro, we attempted to connect the two adapters together and to our surprise, they actually would not fit. We didn't know it, but Apple had included a Mini Display to DVI adapter with the computer, so we actually had an extra one to try. Even though they looked like they should, neither adapter would physically connect to the DVI to composite/S-Video adapter and therefore the night of Video DJ'n that we had promised our customers was not possible. This was very embarrassing to say the least and the club owner was not happy at all. This is a terrible error on Apple's part and it's totally inexcusable.

Why would you try something new for the first time AT the club? Wouldn't it have been more prudent to have made sure it worked beforehand? You would have found out that it didn't work and could have easily brought in the older model and avoided the awkward situation of looking inept. I agree that Apple dropped the ball on not providing a composite adapter, but using the above example is just foolish.

OP
L
Reaction score
That's too bad man. Sorry that had to happen. I'm wondering if 3rd-parties are going to create a mini DisplayPort to Composite/S-Video cable for the new Macbooks because Apple doesn't seem to care to take on the task. There's a big demand for it and it's ridiculous that Apple hasn't even acknowledged that this is a problem and that they are working on a solution. What gives? It's not like it can't be done because from what I read a composite/s-video signal can be transmitted with mini DisplayPort. I guess Apple wants everyone to use projectors, monitors and TVs that have VGA connections.

Thankfully I'm not getting a new Macbook till either Summer or October so I don't have to think about it yet. Hopefully a 3rd party becomes certified to make a mini DisplayPort-to-composite/s-video adapter by then because the current option is too much of a hassle. Why drop something that people need? Not cool Apple.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like there is a current solution. At least for dj pro's and etc. that must have sd connections. I didn't find it, only the post about it.

This is the device. And of course discounted at newegg.

The review link for the device is at apple discussions. Scroll down the thread until you see the pictures, then back up and read. He's done a great review with plenty of pics.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the solution. I really wish it wasn't this complicated to show composite video. A converter, a composite cable, VGA cable and a miniDisplayPort-VGA adapter?!?! That's at least $100!! Before it was just composite cable and a mini DVI adapter. This is really uncalled for but whatever. For a 3rd party to come up with a miniDisplayPort-Composite solution they have to get the DisplayPort license and most third-parties probably won't bother. Apple is pretty much saying "Everyone get an HDTV or device which has VGA so it's easier." This royally sucks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8GHZ 4GB, Powerbook G4, etc.
Yes, I agree. However one positive thing to keep in mind is that the DisplayPort is actually free to use for licensing, so many companies are quick to jump on board after Apple.

OP
L
Reaction score
Well lets hope there's a more reasonable solution because composite is the most widely used video connection on the planet.

Reaction score
I was just searching for this mini video port to video adapter, but I also didn;t find any.. :( For shame cause there are still allot TV's which only support this out there. And even if they have VGA, DVI or HDMI, sometimes the plain video is still better..

Please Apple, please make this adapter! O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I thought Display Port/HDMI is digital video only while DVI-I is capable of digital/analog and DVI-D is also digital only. Composite ,S-Video and component are all analog so some type of converter would have to be used.

Reaction score
have this problem too

Hi,
I recently bought the macbook pro, thinking I could use my old dvi-to-video adapter. When this didn't work due to the new mini-port, I bought the mini displayport to DVI adapter thinking I would be able to go from mini-port to DVI (female) and from DVI (male) to video. But the DVI connections doesn't fit into each other.
I'm really disappointed; I bought a Mac mainly because I wanted things to work smoothly. And now it's not even possible to connect it to my TV..

/Magnus

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

I want the adapter to play what ever is on my IMAC display to all the TVs in my house including my projecter. Some of my TVs are old and some are new, but with composite video, I can send to all TVs. I have already downloaded a "you tube" video to DVD and then played it in my DVD player which then sent it to all TVs. What I really want to do is play streaming video from a beach cam to the whole house. I think my only option is a mini display adapter to VGA and a VGA to Composite video adapter. If there is an easier way to do this, PLEASE tell me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.