• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Noise isolating ear buds vs. noise-canceling headphones: opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I do a lot of flying for my job and get headaches from noisy flights and playing my music loud to overpower it. So recently I got the Bose Quietcomfort 3 headphones. They probably cut the noise from the plane in half, but definitely don't cut it completely.

I've seen some ads for noise-isolating earphones and think they might do a better job. Anyone have experience with these products? If you've used noise-isolating earbuds on a plane, how did they do?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've used my etymotic's on airplanes on more than one flight. Then again, I use them in the lab too..10+ hours a day at times with a lab full of mainframes and midrange rack systems, with storage and tape robots etc and I've had people yell at me behind my back and I never heard them. I also use them when I use the string trimmer (gas) in the yard. They block out so much of the background noise that it's extremely comfortable to listen to music at reasonable volumes... more important (to me) is that they're reference level drivers, so not only is it quieter it's a great sound as well.

about the only thing I DON'T like them for is hiking, walking, or anything where I need to be situationally aware.

jah

Reaction score
there is significant noise conducted through your body. there is limits on what you can block out.

i would recommend a set of custom fit ear buds fit at a doctors office or a company that does that type of thing. request to have sound drivers put in them. even mediocre drivers will sound better than expected. its not as expensive as you might think. i have 2 pairs, the one made of very soft plastic has lasted the longest. people have to shake me to get my attention even in a noisy environment and they dont fall out at the gym.

use caution the first few weeks of use, an ear infection is possible unless you keep things clean.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I didn't want the QC2 because they're just too big, but I'm sure they do a better job. The thing I like about the noise canceling is that while the "white noise" is blocked other soundsl ike people talking is still perfectly audible.

But overall I think I'd rather have more quiet, so I'm going to sell the Bose and get some isolating earbuds if they work nearly as well as people say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro
I have the ear buds and they work great...When something is playing thru them. Never tried the Headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
a pair of properly fitting earbuds should cancel out more sound then over the ear phones. If your ear canal is fully blocked already it shouldn't take much to isolate outside sounds.

I have shure e3's and they have really great sound quality and keep outside noise out very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.