Macbook Air is running hot

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the Mac forums.

I purchased my Macbook air a few days ago bur I'm having some small troubles with it. It seems that when I watch quicktime movies my Macs temp goes all the way up to 70C and higher (Peaked at 82C).

Is this usual for a MBA? Just curious because this seems like an unusual thing to be reaching such hot temps from just watching quicktime.

When I stop watching quicktime my temp goes down to about 55-63 but still hot. Fans seem to be hitting 6k RPM but not making much difference to temps.

Are there any known apps that could cause excessive CPU load or high temps? Running Firefox, cyberduck, Adium & Quicktime.

All help is appreciated!

Regards,
James

OP
X
Reaction score
Strange, since I closed Cyberduck, Firefox and iTunes my temp is down to 42 and falling & fans are now at the normal 2k RPM...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the Mac forums.

I purchased my Macbook air a few days ago bur I'm having some small troubles with it. It seems that when I watch quicktime movies my Macs temp goes all the way up to 70C and higher (Peaked at 82C).

Is this usual for a MBA? Just curious because this seems like an unusual thing to be reaching such hot temps from just watching quicktime.

When I stop watching quicktime my temp goes down to about 55-63 but still hot. Fans seem to be hitting 6k RPM but not making much difference to temps.

Are there any known apps that could cause excessive CPU load or high temps? Running Firefox, cyberduck, Adium & Quicktime.

All help is appreciated!

Regards,
James

I have never owned a Macbook Air but I don't believe they normally run that hot. You should get it checked out by Apple.

Alternatively you can try running your fans at a higher speed using a app

Heres a link: smcFanControl 2.1.2 - MacUpdate

Hope this helps,

OP
X
Reaction score
Hi there,

As I said fans are normally running at 6k. (I use the fancontrol app).

It appears that Quicktime player uses between 25%-80% of my CPU when simply playing videos. This causes my system to lag and the heat to increase.

I'm going to try out VLC as an alternative, but any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.