New to Mac - About development

Reaction score
Hi, I've just ordered a Macbook and it's my first Mac and I'm wondering about development on the Mac. Most of my previous experience has been with Linux (though I have plenty with Windows).

I've gathered from reading previous posts that you can get the GNU toolchain off the install disc. Does this include everything (i.e. GDB, the autotools, etc) or just the basic compiler, assembly, linker and gnumake?

What's the best way to get X11/Unixy software on the Mac. Will I need to compile everything from source or is there a package management solution out there. If there is how up to date is it in general?

Finally does anyone know how to get OpenGL set up for development on the Mac? How modern is the implementation likely to be? Is it easy to get it working with SDL?

Reaction score
hi, better slow down....
you can run on mac features like 'apt-get' or 'yum' if you´re familiared with(bet you are), by installing for example 'FINK' or 'MACPORTS'...and then fink install 'nameofprogram'...etc. google for it
if you want to know more go slowly and feel free to ask

OP
G
Reaction score
Cheers I've had a look at Fink. Yeah the post isn't that long but contains a huge amount of information in hindsight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.