Can't boot OSX or in safe mode

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully someone can help me. I have an imac (2008) running Leopard 10.5.4 and the other day i went to power it up and it is now just hanging on the blue screen with rotating gears appearing every so often!

I can't boot in safe mode (hangs on blue screen also) but can boot from the install DVD and windows XP on the HD partition. Single user mode also works.

I have run disk utility from the install DVD and it advises the disk appears to be OK. But it does give me an error when i try to repair permissions - "The underlying task reported failure on exit" Not sure if this has anything to my main issue or not.

Not sure what else to do, I have thought of reinstalling the OS with an archive and install but am afraid I will lose my files as I have not backed up in the last 6 months or so. I can always try get another mac and rescue files via firewire but was hoping its not that much of a problem.

I have searched many discussion groups and apples support and knowlegebase site with no luck!

Any help or suggestions, much appreciated! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Did you run the Repair disk option or just the Verify option? Make sure you ran the repair option. You could also try fsck.
"However, here are some situations in which fsck may be necessary."
  • Your Mac OS X disc isn't available.
  • Your optical drive isn't available.
  • You can't start with a Safe Boot."
If neither work, an Archive and Install SHOULD fix it. (assuming everything checks out with the HDD) As you mentioned, try to back up anything you want to keep, "just in case".

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your help...

I did run 'repair disk' a few times and all checked out OK. As I say only had errors with verify and repair with permissions. I just think it's odd that it wont start up in safe mode. Do you think it could be a Hard Drive problem or other serious fault? Thanks again soulwar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As it's a new iMac, I would doubt it's hardware related. (Anything is possible though) It sounds as the OS may have been corrupted somehow.
Personally, I would go ahead with the Archive and install option. You can always run the Apple Hardware test to check things out. (for peace of mind)

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, I eventually hooked it up to another mac to grab the important files and then did an archive and install and it seems to have done the trick! Time machine and my new external HD are now bestest friends. Thanks for your help Soulwar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update and I'm always glad to help! :)
My external is a close friend of mine as well... ;)

Reaction score
No OS Disk

I keep reading the exact thing I am experiencing but I do not have my OS disks.

All of the tips cannot be done because it is stuck in the blue screen of different shades alternating, one having the windmill thing going around. I can't run anything or check anything because I cannot get past the blue screens.

Tried safe mode and does not work, just goes right back to the blue screens.
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stuey you need install discs big time as they are the greatest utilities about.

Try zapping the PRAM as set out here and see if there is any joy:-

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.