Sony A300 vs Canon 450D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Hi everyone...I am looking into buying a new DSLR. I am looking in the price range of the sony a300 and canon 450d. I have never owned a DSLR before but have taken photography classes and know a decent amount about it, but not the cameras themselves.

There are pros and cons to each.

Here is the link to the sony:
Sony | Alpha DSLR-A300 SLR Digtial Camera with Sony 18-70mm

This camera comes with two lenses (you can see them from the link), and a carrying case and extra battery....all which are handy to have. I would buy a memory card, and a lowpro backpack to carry the gear.

Pros: built in image stabilization that works with any connected lens instead of (like with canon) having to buy IS lenses if I want that. How big of a deal is this even? I will be doing some sport shots, etc. so don't know how much it will help.

It's cheaper and comes with more features

It seems to have plenty of lenses that can be connected to it.

Cons: I am not sure the image quality matches up to the Canon 450D

the flash is set low and creates a lot of shadow i hear

it can't save your manual settings after setting those up

Ok...the canon. I have heard great things about it and although the screen doesn't tilt out like the sony (doubt i would use it much), it is also supposed to be a lot smaller and lighter (which is def a huge plus for me)

pros: heard a lot about canon
smaller, lighter
quicker shutter speed

cons: I heard they make different lenses for higher models of their DSLRs so if i ever wanted higher end cameras by them i would have to get entire new lenses.

only comes with one lense (it would be nice to have one that zooms even more)

i couldnt afford another lense

their lenses with image stabilization are supposed to be really expensive as well

any other input on this??

I want to get the best I can...

its either the sony with more accesorries and 2 lenses or the canon with less accessories but a smaller. lighter camera.

thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'd recommend you check out Steve's Digicams - Main Menu for detailed reviews. You'd be hard pressed to find a better camera review site.

Reaction score
I don't know if you checked your older thread, but there was some good info' that could help. Old Thread

Anyways, I'll try and answer your questions.

1) Built-in image stabilization is a plus. You won't ever have to worry about buying an IS/VR equipped lens. The con is that because the actual stabilization process takes place as you take the picture, you won't see the stabilization effect 'live' in the viewfinder. It won't be active like it is when IS is built into the lens. That's the compromise you have to make when having a built-in body IS system.

2) The image quality not only depends on the camera, but the lens as well. In essence, the lens used is more important than the body. But needless to say, both the Sony and Canon offer great image quality.

The Canon 450D does not have a quicker shutter speed... They both max' out at 1/4000th of a second, which I doubt you'll ever use.

Canon's lens line-up is basically EF and EF-S. Canon's full frame cameras, (like the 5D), only accept EF lenses. But the APS-C cropped frame cameras (i.e. 450D, 40D, 50D...) will accept either one.

So in the end, they are both great cameras, and their isn't really a "winner". You'll have to determine which one is right for you, but it sounds like you could get more for your money with the Sony. But I don't want to steer you into either direction.

My advice is to go and test these out first hand and see which one you like better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.