Virtual PC

E

earlthepearl

I have to run Virtual PC on one of my Macs soon for College to run XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro.
I would prefer to use my Powerbook. The Microsoft site says 700 MHz min. My powerbook has 667 MHz. I have 768 MB ram. Does anyone know if Virtual PC will install on my system? I also have a Imac with a processor a little larger if I do have to go that route. The Powerbook is just a faster machine, so was hoping that will run it.
Earl Tash
Please send info to:
[email protected] :mac: :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Why do you need to run XP Pro? You can get Office X for OS X. Virtual PC is an incredibly slow and annoying program to use

OP
E

earlthepearl

I now have Office 2004, but they say I need Access, which Office 2004 doesn't have. I am now using 2004 to do what I can for this first week.

For my college class- computers- That's just the requirment. XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro. Hope when UPS finally drops it off it will run on my Powerbook. I need to be able to run Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access.
Earl

trpnmonkey41 said:
Why do you need to run XP Pro? You can get Office X for OS X. Virtual PC is an incredibly slow and annoying program to use

OP
D

Danster

i think that's another smart move for microsoft !
they miss one vital program that most people need for work/college
so you have to end up buying a pc with whadyaknow window xp+office

Sumbags!!! no 1 should have to suffer the use of xp after you have used OS X :(

OP
E

earlthepearl

Yes I agree with you there. Windows sure sucks. I will hate having to deal with it threw this computer class. Hopefully after this class is over I won't have to deal with Winows or Virtual PC again for a while. OS X rules.

Danster said:
i think that's another smart move for microsoft !
they miss one vital program that most people need for work/college
so you have to end up buying a pc with whadyaknow window xp+office

Sumbags!!! no 1 should have to suffer the use of xp after you have used OS X :(

OP
N

NuKe

Jeez, I have to use Virtual PC for college for my engineering courses. It is stupid, our Prof. is forcing us to use AutoCAD, which is only available for PCs, so I have to run Virtual PC 7 to run it, and it draws so slowly, especially when we are doing things in 3-D, bahhh, I hate it, but its still better than running a PC, lol.
-Mike

OP
T

tariq

one recommendation: use windows 2000 instead of xp, it's much more responsive and faster

OP
M

menace3054

i just bought virtual pc becuase some of the cds that came with my textbook only run on pc. I must say the new version is a **** of a lot better than the older ones. I was pretty impressed. but then again i have 1.25 gb of ram and im sure that made some difference

OP
G

Gregg

I just loaded it on my 1.33GHz 12inch PB with no issues. Are you sure that Win2k is better? I heard that XP does a better job with VPC?

OP
J

jbsengineer

Gregg said:
I just loaded it on my 1.33GHz 12inch PB with no issues. Are you sure that Win2k is better? I heard that XP does a better job with VPC?

gregg,

how well does the xp run? mine seems to be SUPER SLOW> how much ram do you allocate etc?

Josh

OP
M

menace3054

jbsengineer said:
gregg,

how well does the xp run? mine seems to be SUPER SLOW> how much ram do you allocate etc?

Josh

i allocated it 512mb and it seems fine.. its kinda slow to boot up, but once its running it isnt too terrible. i mean i would under no means run office for windows on it, but for less resource intensive applications it works fine

OP
T

tariq

Gregg said:

Nope, XP is by far the slowest. NT4 is the fastest followed by Windows 2000. Not sure about Windows 98, but it's a little dated to be still using.

I've found that if you use the full screen mode of VPC, the speed will slowly grind to a halt--best to use windowed mode.

OP
E

earlthepearl

yes that is what i have been finding out. So far VPC with xp is working as good as you can expect for Windsuck. It will get me threw computer class at college, then it's back to Office 2004 for the Mac. Stupid Windows!!!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
tariq said:
Nope, XP is by far the slowest. NT4 is the fastest followed by Windows 2000. Not sure about Windows 98, but it's a little dated to be still using.

I've found that if you use the full screen mode of VPC, the speed will slowly grind to a halt--best to use windowed mode.

Well on a PC ME is the fastest option followed closely by 2000, I build cut down PCs for use on boats and in cars, ME is the choice option but very hard to get hold of now, 2000 is still available so I recommend it for performance and stability reasons. 98SE and XP are CPU both hogs.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
earlthepearl said:
yes that is what i have been finding out. So far VPC with xp is working as good as you can expect for Windsuck. It will get me threw computer class at college, then it's back to Office 2004 for the Mac. Stupid Windows!!!

I went through university with Windoze emulators but that was way back in the early nineties when my Risc based machine was 4x the speed of the top end PC. All I needed was to emulate a 386SX back then and my 32 bit ARM system was more than up to the job then. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
J

jbsengineer

Amen-Moses said:
Well on a PC ME is the fastest option followed closely by 2000, I build cut down PCs for use on boats and in cars, ME is the choice option but very hard to get hold of now, 2000 is still available so I recommend it for performance and stability reasons. 98SE and XP are CPU both hogs.

Amen-Moses

ME is the worst possible WinOS.... it's terrible....has the windows 2000 look but the stability of 95....

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.