New to Web Design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Hello all. I was talking to one of my buddies that does web design. He does make alright money at this. I am really savvy with Photoshop and Illustrator and I have done a few Photography Jobs. I was wondering if someone would maybe give me a link to a website with some tutorials on the basics of web development. I will be using Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 on the Mac. Also does anyone maybe want to give me a general idea on how to charge a customer. Should I give them a set and stone price and work with that based on what I do to the site or anything like that?
Please Everyone and anyone that knows stuff about it. I am getting really sick of my Dishwashing job. I am a student too, do you think that my Age would effect my business and how people approach me?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think as a designer your work should be what sells you. Not how you look, or how old you are. For some people this might be a factor but if your work is really good then they probably won't care.

I charge by the hour.

I have been doing web sites ever since I was 13. My dad made me take HTML and Java script classes when he saw that I was interested in that kind of stuff.

This is kind of where I think people should start from. Jumping into Dreamweaver is okay too, but if something goes wrong with the coding chances are you won't know how to fix it.

Currently I'm taking Flash and learning up on action script, which I think is a valuable asset as a web designer. My school has a whole bunch of posting for designers that know how to use Flash and Action script.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Why not make yourself a website, like a personal portfolio of your designs? That way you can pick up skills and learn how to use Dreamweaver and also sell yourself.

As CrimsonRequiems suggested your work should be what sells you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.