Mac is going slow.. will freeze for couple seconds.

Reaction score
My mac is going to slow at random times, ill click on things and they wont open then later on they will open. 2Gig ram apparently is not that good. How much will it cost to go to the apple store and have them put in 2 more gigs? It has to be done I feel like a lamer with these freezes.

Reaction score
dont go to apple store,they charge way to much. you can get it alot cheaper,have at look on crucial.com. i just got my macbook and as 2b of ram and mines running fine.

OP
chaM
Reaction score
ya dude mine ran fine when I first got it as well, it just gets slow over time. I have whatsize etc, but its obvious that I need more ram because when your **** is just frozen, that is lame.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
ya dude mine ran fine when I first got it as well, it just gets slow over time. I have whatsize etc, but its obvious that I need more ram because when your **** is just frozen, that is lame.

It might be just faulty RAM. I would never never send in my stuff to Apple if I can simply just do something myself.

Do yourself a favor and just buy 4GB of RAM you probably can get them for like 70 bucks or less and install them yourself under 5 minutes. Kind of depends what kind of Mac machine we are talking about, but you get the idea.

OP
chaM
Reaction score
Ya, I could definitely install my self, it is a macbook, could any suggestions be made on what ram I should purchase?

Reaction score

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
With mail in rebate, I got these for $80 at the time...now you can get them for less than $50. I purchased in June and I just got my rebate this week.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory For Apple Notebook Model VSA4GSDSKIT667C4 - Mac Memory

They are low latency which is supposedly clocked faster.

FYI, this is only notebook memory. My MacBook Pro has been running much better, less freezing with these in.

Wow those are super cheap for Low latency RAM, not only do they clock faster but they save energy too.

Reaction score
My mac is going to slow at random times, ill click on things and they wont open then later on they will open. 2Gig ram apparently is not that good. How much will it cost to go to the apple store and have them put in 2 more gigs? It has to be done I feel like a lamer with these freezes.

2GB of RAM is still a decent amount. What kind of things are taking a long time to open? RAM may not be your problem, try some other things first.

Have you repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility?

Do you ever leave your Mac on overnight to let it perform it's daily/weekly/monthly maintenance tasks?

If you've not restarted your Mac in a long time, do so.

Is your hard drive nearly full (This will impact on performance)?

How much stuff have you got on your desktop (Having lots of files on the desktop will slow your Mac down)?

How many Apps do you have running at once (Are you closing them properly?)

OP
chaM
Reaction score
Have you repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility?
yes.

Do you ever leave your Mac on overnight to let it perform it's daily/weekly/monthly maintenance tasks?
I leave my mac on a lot.

If you've not restarted your Mac in a long time, do so.
I restart randomly.

Is your hard drive nearly full (This will impact on performance)?
It is basically brand new just got my mac like month and a half ago, 250gig hd, only have 40gigs on it.

How much stuff have you got on your desktop (Having lots of files on the desktop will slow your Mac down)?
0 files.

How many Apps do you have running at once (Are you closing them properly?)
Usually like firefox, ichat, itunes, ipages, stickies, ical.

I think its the ram, **** freezes sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

What are you doing on your Mac? 2Gig should be fine if you are not doing anything intensive.

OP
chaM
Reaction score
Exactly my point, nothing; that is why eyebrows are being raised... can anyone think of a possible explanation? Its fine right now, but some times randomly nothing changes I just walk away come back and it may be slower and have like a 1second type lag etc.. Very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Try running the maintenance scripts manually, nor sure if this will help but its worth a try.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html said:
Using your Admin account, you can execute all three maintenance scripts at once, as follows:

1. Launch Terminal, in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written:
1. sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
3. Press Return.
4. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.

All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when the Terminal prompt returns.

You can also run the scripts individually. For example, to run just the daily script, you would type the command:

* sudo periodic daily

in step 2 above.

Also do you have any particular app or widget open when this occurs?

If you have alot of widget, try cutting down on them. Better still get rid of them.

Reaction score
If your Mac is only a month old then it is still under warranty. If you have an Apple store nearby, take it in and get them to sort it free of charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Stick in your OS X CD, hold down C and restart. Then choose Disk Untility from the drop down menu and do a disk repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.