Should I get a new macbook for college?

Reaction score
I've had my macbook for two years. I haven't had any MAJOR problems with it. I've had battery issues and I'm planning on getting a new battery next year. I've had some problems lately with my burner, but I've just been burning at half speed and it works fine (haven't tried to burn DVDs in a while, I'm not sure if that would work or not).

Also- part of the edge of the computer, like the plastic near the trackpad, is slowly starting to come off. Just the edge though. A few inches of it has come off on the bottom right corner.

So anyway, next year I was planning on buying a new battery, the new version of iLife, and the new operating system.

Today I was reading more about the new macbooks, and was tempted to just buy a new one.

Do you think that would be dumb? There not as expensive as I thought they'd be.

The only reason I'm tempted to buy a new one is because I've already had my laptop for two years. How much longer do you think it should last me? I mean I use it A LOT, so I don't think it's gonna last me as long as it'll last people who just use it a couple hours a day.

I currently do my school online, so I'm basically always on my computer doing something.

I just can't decide if I should put a buncha money in it (for a new battery, the new operation system that's coming out next year, the new iLife, and maybe eventually a new cd burner) since I'm not sure how much longer it's gonna last me.

The only thing is- my warranty goes another year. I could probably get them to replace the burner if it totally craps out on me. I just get extremely annoyed waiting on the phone for 45 min. to talk to someone.

And also- should my warranty cover the plastic coming off my computer? And if so, could I just take it to the apple store to get fixed? And how long would I be without my computer?

Based on your experience, how long do macbooks last if they're used A LOT?

Reaction score
Call Apple. Deal with them to get all these things fixed under warranty. Go ahead and buy the new Macbook or low end Macbook Pro and sell your old Macbook with one year of warranty left to make up some of the difference once it is back from repair. Really, if you use it that much, I would get the Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I think you should buy a new mac book. Then fix your old one threw apple then sell it. If you are using your computer that much I think it is worth having a new one :p. I vote new MacBook!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think you should buy a new mac book. Then fix your old one threw apple then sell it. If you are using your computer that much I think it is worth having a new one :p. I vote new MacBook!

I think that's some pretty sound advice. Fix up your old one, and sell that one. Then you will have extra cash towards the new one. You probably could get 500-700 bucks out of your old one. I think that's pretty good ^^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
yep, the new one are much better then the last gen :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
I think I'll go against the group and think you should keep your MacBook. Apple will fix the cracking, it's a known issue. A battery, iLife, and new OS will not add up to a thousand dollars. I just don't think that keeping a notebook for only two years is very practical.

Reaction score
I think I'll go against the group and think you should keep your MacBook. Apple will fix the cracking, it's a known issue. A battery, iLife, and new OS will not add up to a thousand dollars. I just don't think that keeping a notebook for only two years is very practical.

I agree completely. I have an old powerbook g4 that I use as my carry around and the white macbook core duo 1.83ghz. that I use at home to do my video editing and so forth on it. So it will easily last you another couple of years to be honest. Use your warranty and enjoy your almost new laptop, And save your money in the process get something else that you really need. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Another vote for that.

Look...
Yes the new MacBooks look nice and shiny and bla bla bla bla bla...*rolls eyes* Just like new models of cars first produced, they have a whirlwind of defects as they have not been under the normal stress of everyday use. . Go with what has gotten you here already. The new MacBooks will have glitches, and I guarantee you it's going to be with that trackpad. As soon as I saw that stupid thing shown, I knew it was going to be nothing but a nightmare. Go ahead, spill something on it. I bet you my Jaguar it won't work again. I spilled water on my MacBook's trackpad and after a day of drying off, it worked fine. Your MacBook is reliable. You're better off just fixing that bad boy.

A battery will cost you $80
Leopard comes with iLife, that costs $80
The cracking will be fixed soon with a recall. Regardless, it's cosmetic.
The DVD drive is covered under applecare.

$160 versus going through selling your macbook and getting a new one...so we'll say $800... I don't know dude, sounds pretty straightforward.

OP
D
Reaction score
Another vote for that.

Look...
Yes the new MacBooks look nice and shiny and bla bla bla bla bla...*rolls eyes* Just like new models of cars first produced, they have a whirlwind of defects as they have not been under the normal stress of everyday use. . Go with what has gotten you here already. The new MacBooks will have glitches, and I guarantee you it's going to be with that trackpad. As soon as I saw that stupid thing shown, I knew it was going to be nothing but a nightmare. Go ahead, spill something on it. I bet you my Jaguar it won't work again. I spilled water on my MacBook's trackpad and after a day of drying off, it worked fine. Your MacBook is reliable. You're better off just fixing that bad boy.

A battery will cost you $80
Leopard comes with iLife, that costs $80
The cracking will be fixed soon with a recall. Regardless, it's cosmetic.
The DVD drive is covered under applecare.

$160 versus going through selling your macbook and getting a new one...so we'll say $800... I don't know dude, sounds pretty straightforward.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I guess it would be more practical to just use my current macbook until it totally craps out on me. I mean, if it can last me another two years, there's gonna be an even more amazing macbook out by then, and I'll end up getting more for my money.

I didn't realize Leopard comes with iLife? That'll save me a few bucks. :D

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the plastic coming off except dirt & dust can get in there and mess stuff up.

Also- do you guys think that it'll be cheaper to get Leopard Snow if you already have Leopard? If it'll just be like a $30 upgrade fee or whatever I may as well just get Leopard now. But if it's gonna be a totally separate deal I'm gonna wait 'til it comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.