Half of display screen not working-lines,lines,lines

Reaction score
iMac intel 17" early 2006

I have seen threads,here and elsewhere, regarding my issue but can't seem to find the resolutions. Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

Problem: overnight,while computer was on, I lost the use of half of my monitor display. Initially it was dark (after Apple Care had me restart using: Command-Option-P-R) now it is white. There is a vertical band of color lines between the working and non-working portions of my display.
After researching this online for several minutes and finding discussions and even You Tube content (!!) I find it maddening that Apple Care would pretend to not know anything about this.Regardless...I see references to the inverter board (?) needing to be replaced.
Has anyone survived this ordeal to tell their story(or has Mac had them "silenced"? :) )
Again,any info (cost...etc) and I will lobby for a holiday in May in your honor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most likely an Inverter defect. Since you seem to have Apple care, make an appointment with the genius bar and let them sort it out. If the Inverter board has to be replaced they'll most likely keep your iMac for awhile. In any event, now is a good time to make a verified backup of all your data. Use Time Machine if you have Leopard, or if not, a program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. (You'll need an external drive.)

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!
Has anyone actually gone through this? Still wondering about cost.

Reaction score
Any feed back

Did you get any feed back about about you display not working? I am having the exact same and I am not sure if it is worth it for me to fix it, especially if it is going to be expensive. Can you please let me know.

Thanks

MTI

Reaction score
Did you get any feed back about about you display not working? I am having the exact same and I am not sure if it is worth it for me to fix it, especially if it is going to be expensive. Can you please let me know.

Thanks

It's not the inverter, it's a widespread defect in the LCD panel. The only known "cure" is to replace the LCD, hopefully with a new one that doesn't have the same defect. New panels cost more than the value of these early CoreDuo machines . . . so the only reasonable alternative is to hook up an external monitor while you still have some visibility on the dying LCD and set up an automated script to engage Mirror Displays on boot. However, the next time you install a new OS (like Snow Leopard) you'll be working in the dark if there's not enough LCD visible.

There are currently two lawsuits in federal court in California alleging that this was a product defect that Apple knew about and should remedy. Apple's defense is that they would have under warranty, but that the warranties have all expired.

Reaction score
same issue

It's not the inverter, it's a widespread defect in the LCD panel. The only known "cure" is to replace the LCD, hopefully with a new one that doesn't have the same defect. New panels cost more than the value of these early CoreDuo machines . . . so the only reasonable alternative is to hook up an external monitor while you still have some visibility on the dying LCD and set up an automated script to engage Mirror Displays on boot. However, the next time you install a new OS (like Snow Leopard) you'll be working in the dark if there's not enough LCD visible.

There are currently two lawsuits in federal court in California alleging that this was a product defect that Apple knew about and should remedy. Apple's defense is that they would have under warranty, but that the warranties have all expired.

Thanks for your input, I am experiencing the exact same issue with lines separating the working and the non-working sides of the screen. Repairing this starts out at around $650! Ugh! Not happy with Apple right now and I normally never say a negative word ;(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.