• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows battered, Office flying high

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Microsoft released some interesting figures in the quarterly report recently. Office operating income was up 23 percent, yet Windows was down 2 percent. Clearly this reinforces what we all know about Vista, that people are are moving to it as quickly as MS would have liked or even predicted. This is especially true because the market for lower cost PCs has grown, and these PCs ship with the lower margin versions of Windows (either XP or Vista Home Basic).

Microsoft’s Vista Problem, by the Numbers - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

Interesting times for Redmond...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well Microsoft did have a "monopoly" on the OS scene for a while. It's a shame that Vista has such negative stigmas associated with it.

I don't think it's as horrible as people say, because most people have never even used it and yet criticize it so heavily. Bandwagon jumpers are what they are.

Oh well time to move on I guess? Maybe they should focus more on a business or network oriented OS rather than home. Truthfully I rather run Linux than windows on my PC machines. >_<"

I use Mac for my work though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I will admit that I actually LIKE to use XP at work. It's because it's familiar and I am so use to it. Obviously, I'd rather run OS X, but that won't happen where I work. That aside, Vista did not run very well for me on Bootcamp or on Parallels while XP seems to putter along just fine on both. I have no hatred of Vista. I just choose to use what works and in my case it does not work well. For Office 2008 - I have it installed on my Parallels XP mostly because I received it for free from work and figured that inevitably someone will send me something important in .docx format some day. The usabilty of Office 2008 seems to better thought out that Vista was. The buttons are in different places, but seem to do the same thing. Vista has different buttons in different places doing different things so it is less of a reorganization of existing things (like Office 2008) and more of a messy pile I don't have the inclination to mess with. Bottom line is I use the tool that gets the job done well with the least amount of trouble. From what I have observed, Office 2008 seems to have achieved this (from my LIMITED exposure) while Vista did not. Perhaps this is part of the reason that Office is producing more positive energy for MS than Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I just hope that the whole Vista debacle teaches Microsoft a lesson. Dont just release software in the arrogant hope that it will succeed just because you are the dominant vendor.

All companies, including Apple need to know this lesson, you need to create a compelling product to attract custom, not just release a half bakes product with some of the promised features dropped and expect customers to just take it.

Come on Microsoft, listen to your customers – give people what they desire, not what you think they should have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
When I had to frankenstein my gaming PC to this low-end Compaq tower running Vista Home Premium.. I can honestly say I didn't have any trouble with it... Or at least very minimal.. Certain games ran better on XP vs. Vista, but that was the most of it..

Surprised the heck out of me.. I still prefer OS X, but I guess Vista isn't as bad as I thought? *shrugs*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.