• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't get anything to work!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very angry, almost to the point I'm going to throw my new iMac out the window. I can't seem to get any video editing programs to work for me. I have tried iMovie '08 and it have some problem which i can't figure out, closes randomly, Events won't import, thumbnails don't appear. etc. I have re-installed it many times with no luck. I also have Adobe After Effects. I really like it a lot but when I import video they become still when i play back and there still on the exported video but the audio is running. I have also re-installed that many times before, otherwise the program works great. I also have Final Cut Studio. I can tell that it is a good program but from what i can tell it is more for commercial use like on a imax camera. I am big on the whole subject of video editing and i do a lot of taping but i can't get anything to work. I have other problems to trying to get my camcorder (recorders on Mini-DVD's) videos onto my iMac. So i guess I'm just having really bad luck. If someone could tell me how to fix my problems or get a different program (Mac or Windows) that wold be fantastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This isn't easily debuggable from afar. You didn't mention the version of your iMac or the software, so that makes responding even more difficult.

Things I would try are; Fix permissions, remove the preferences file for the particular application causing problems, remove third party video codecs such as Perian, make sure you have plenty of disc space.

You mentioned mini-dvds. I think most of those cameras record in MPEG-2 and the files have to be converted. Search this forum for some answers to that. Perhaps MPEG StreamClip will solve that issue. Of course you Mac can't accept small dvd discs.

If the camera has a firewire port, that would be the easiest way to port video to your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.