Loud and obnoxious noise from CD drive?

Reaction score
I have a 17" iMac 2.0GHz and I love it. Except for the CD/DVD-R drive. For some reason, no matter what I am doing(burning, installing, reading), if there is a disc in the drive it makes this loud obnoxious noise. Kind of like a vibrating. Do they all do this? Does anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it? Ill admit I dont use the drive much but when I do, its really annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I have had this problem with both my aluminum iMac and my MacBook, and it usually seems dependent on what type of media I am using. Cheap brand CD-Rs and DVD-Rs seem to do it more often. It probably has something to do with the way they are balanced. Does it make the noise with any CD or DVD, or only certain ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
It seems to me that it's a drive mount issue, that machine is two years old now. If there's a loose rubber wedge, or a screw not tightened properly, the unit will vibrate. [On an old G3 d/top I owned I could have sworn a road roller was going past outside - it was a loose mounting screw on the CD-ROM unit.]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.