My hard drive DIED.. is this COMMON?

Reaction score
My white 1.8 macbook is only 10 months old! Yet he hard drive totally failed!!
Edit: its actually 2.16

So obviously their replacing it.

But WHY did this happen.. is it MY fault??

Is it common?
how can i prevent this?

the best part is... i never backup anything!!! yay...
-_-
luckily i didn have anything important on there.. but from now on im going to backup everything!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Hard drives are unpredictable. They could die in a month, or they could last for years. It might be something you did, or just like that.

The only thing I'd suggest is be gentle with your notebook while it is on (especially while moving it, or placing it on a desk). And yeah, always backup. I mean, with Time Machine, there's no reason not to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Is it common?

Yes. All harddrives fail if you run them long enough, but some fail sooner than others. Notebook drives are a bit more susceptible as well, simply because they're moved and jostled around more.

I'll say it again: You only actually "have" data that you have backed up. Any data on your harddrive that isn't backed up might just as well not exist - it could be gone the next time you boot up your Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks

yeah well im going to get an exernal hardrive now...
i guess i need to learn my lesson... better now then later i guess! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Why not invest in a Solid State Drive? - They are much faster and don't have moving parts which means they have higher reliability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why not invest in a Solid State Drive? - They are much faster and don't have moving parts which means they have higher reliability.
Because a 128GB SSD is around $300-$400?
Plus they only have a finite lifetime of read & write capabilities, so it doesn't really eliminate the need to backup...

I agree that SSD's are the way to go, but they need to come down in price first (for me personally at least).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Because a 128GB SSD is around $300-$400?
Plus they only have a finite lifetime of read & write capabilities, so it doesn't really eliminate the need to backup...

I agree that SSD's are the way to go, but they need to come down in price first (for me personally at least).

My point was compared to Mechanical drives they are much more reliable. No technology removes the need to backup.

However I do agree that they are slightly expensive and the price does need to come down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Really many have already failed on another mac fourm, they were in the Air. Nothing is fail proof :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
Not that it's a common problem, but my Macbook hard drive failed after 2 years. Very random though. Didn't do anything to antagonise it. Luckily the warranty covered it. And they replaced it with a bigger hard drive for me!! Cashback!

Reaction score
Simple solution guys. 1 TB drives in external enclosures are dropping into the 100-150 range. Buy one and hook up the USB. Use Time Machine on a regular basis and you are set. Also, back up important docs(papers for class, tax docs, etc), your media library (MP3's etc) as well. Disc space is so cheap, and backing up is so simple there is no reason not to.

As for SSD's, wait on that unless you got a good deal of cash. The tech is only going to cheaper, faster, and more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Also, it should be pointed out that Apple doesn't make the hard drives. They are the exact same hard drives that other manufacturers put in their PCs. It's an unfortunate thing when one fails prematurely, it's not a case of Apple producing a faulty product. It's just the nature of the beast.

Reaction score
My Mac(1.5 year old macbook 80GB hard drive) started freezing up recently(which concerned me greatly since my mac had nevr done so). I auctually took it the talk to a genius at the apple store just yesterday. was a real nice guy, said the hard drive was gonna get worse and be useless in a week, it was just out of warranty and it said it would cost $180 with labor, he also suggested that i not do that and that i do it myself(which i know how to already). He said that their repairs are terreifc...for people who have no clue what they are doing. I went to office depot and got a 250GB HD for $80 :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.