Backing up without installing

Reaction score
Hello all...

Where I work, our Macs all have managed builds, so the staff can't 'mess around' with them. While we have servers that are backed up, a lot of my work is done on the local machine, only uploaded to the server when I've finished.

So, at home, and where I used to work, I just installed LaCie's SilverKeeper and had it back up my local machine to an attached drive. I knew then that all my current work, and my supporting files were safe.

Of course, I can't install SilverKeeper now, so every night before I leave I have to copy my entire current work folder to the server, which takes about half an hour.

Here's what I need... I have an external drive with the machine, so is there any backup software, that can scan for changed items and therefore only copy what's different, that DOES NOT need root priviledges? Basically if the installer wants the administrator's password, I can't use it.

I tried bringing SilverKeeper's application in from home, which worked, but as soon as I tried to set the destination drive it wanted the administrator password.

If necessary, I could use my own hard drive for backup, but if anyone can give me any advice on this I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Use the built in Time Machine, does exactly what you're looking for

OP
L
Reaction score
A couple of problems with that idea... the operating system is 10.4, and it's a managed build, which means I can't add things that aren't there.

Anybody got any suggestions please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"SuperDuper" and "Carbon Copy Cloner" have the ability to make incremental backups. SuperDuper is shareware while Carbon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Both work with Tiger.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Great, thanks – I'll have a try.

I take it that neither of them require an administrator's password to install/run?

Cheers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.