G4 Yikes PCI Memory Question

F

flowforth

Let me preface my question by saying that I'm a computer novice and new forum member. I have a G4 PCI 400 mhz Yikes model. I had 320 mb (256 + 64) memory in it and wanted to upgrade to OSX. At the advice of a tech person at work, I put in two 512 cards in the first 2 slots and the old memory in the second 2. The machine recognizes the memory and is faster - but only sees the 512s as 256s. In other words I have 832 mb (256 + 256 + 256 + 64) when I should have 1344 mb. I have since read that the machine only accepts a maximum of 1 GB - but nowhere does it say 256 mb per slot. I ordered the memory from a mac place and specified my model - 512mb were acceptable. Rather than trying to exchange the cards - can someone tell me if there is a way (an upgrade perhaps) for the machine to recognize the memory? Thanks very much.

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The problem might be the fact that you have more than 1GB installed, so the memory controller will not recognise the full 512MB of the modules.

Try to put just 2 512MB modules in it, leaving the other 2 slots free. It might recognise the modules full 512MB, maxing it out at 1GB.

This can happen when you install more memory than the memory controller can handle...

OP
F

flowforth

I took out the smaller memory and just had the first two slots with the 512s in them. Now the computer only recognizes 512 total memory. Should be 1 GB right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Hmm...well, it seems that the Yikes! really has a limit of 256MB per slot.

You should return the 2 512MB modules and change them for 4 256MB modules, that's the only thing you can do.
Older computer are a little more picky when it comes to big RAM modules.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.