Why would I want to run Windows?

Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering my first Mac,(MBP/15" closeout model). I'm a new Mac convert and I am wondering why or if I need to get Parallels and XP for this machine.
It will be a home and travel laptop used for photo editing as well as internet stuff. I would prefer to use it as is, and if I load any additional editing software, I'll get the the Mac version. I won't be gaming with this machine so my question is: Why exactly would I want to run Windows when that is what I'm trying to get away from?
Lastly, will I be able to use my existing e-mail accounts.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Reaction score
1. You would want windows for any of the programs you can't run in OSX and that are only compatible with Windows.

2. Yes you can keep all your same emails, gmail, yahoo, msn they are all the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like you answered your own question, you don't need Windows.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast responses. All the main Adobe programs run fine in OSX, right? CS3 and Lightroom and such? Thanks again for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
sure, have for years. the first photoshop version I ever used.. way back in 1991 ran on a mac ;)

1992 I think was the first year of a windows port.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm a little surprised....Adobe CS suite on Mac Machines is kind of industry standard. I find it a little odd that the OP knows so little about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
I always wondered this too. As others have said it really does not sound like you need windows... I even went so far as buying iWork and trying to stay away from microsoft products in general.

Reaction score
because 90% of the world use Window. Most application and game are design to run on Window.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When Adobe was just starting up after the founders work at Xerox Parc (Xerox Palo Alto Research Center). Steve Jobs went over and paid them a visit. Adobe has been on the Mac since the very beginning of Adobe and it was later released on the PC.

At first the Mac versions were way more polished than the early Windows versions, but over the years they both are excellent. The version for the Mac was first though. I remember running Photoshop 3 and later 4 on my old Mac SE! Ran great with just 4 Megs (Yes MEGS and not GIGS) of ram! :D

Interesting article about Adobe.

Adobe Systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised....Adobe CS suite on Mac Machines is kind of industry standard. I find it a little odd that the OP knows so little about this?

As I tried to explain, this will be my first Mac. The complete extent of my Apple experience is my IPod classic. I have had no reason to investigate the library of software available for the Mac platform nor the history of Adobe's relationship with Apple. Guess I'm not an "industry" member, just an amateur photographer looking for a better way. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Also, if you already own the PC versions of Adobe apps, Adobe will let you do a simple cross grade

Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
As I tried to explain, this will be my first Mac. The complete extent of my Apple experience is my IPod classic. I have had no reason to investigate the library of software available for the Mac platform nor the history of Adobe's relationship with Apple. Guess I'm not an "industry" member, just an amateur photographer looking for a better way. Thanks again.

Nice response.

I don't personally believe you will need to run Windows for the stuff you do. I am sure you will enjoy your mac and have loads of fun with it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.