iMac G3 wireless internet?

Reaction score
I don't want to get an Airport for my 400Mhz G3 because they simply cost too much, and are hard to find. I was wondering if anyone had an alternative method to connect to the internet through wireless, such as wifi USB keys...if so, what are the wireless USB keys that will be compatible with my G3.

Thank You, I await your response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Go to afterthemac.com
They have a wireless USB adapter that works very well.

OP
K
Reaction score
I checked this video on youtube, which I can't find anymore...anyway, the guy inserted a normal wireless USB in his 3rd gen iMAC and it worked.
I guess I can give that a shot, I mean it's the only solution under 30-20$...But before that, did anyone give that a try? Which USB wireless key should I use to get the most success?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A "normal" USB wireless adapter won't work, due to the lack of software for the Mac. (if it doesn't specify for a mac, you will be disappointed)
I use one of these myself and it will work. Mac Wireless OS X.3 X.4 USB Wireless

OP
K
Reaction score
ok, so you do agree that it's the fault of the driver not the hardware. So it is possible to use a normal USB with perhaps a hacked driver or even a driver made specially for OS X...
I find it hard to believe that the only USB wifi key is the one I find here: After the Mac Wireless USB Adapters...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct. It's the drivers, not the hardware. There are other USB adapters I've seen at bestbuy, etc... But the one I mention is the cheapest I've found. For example, the one at bestbuy was $69. Either way you go, if it's not "Mac specific" you'll have to find drivers and possibly a program as well to use it. I actually did the reverse for the one from afterthemac. I found a driver and program to use it for my kids PC.

OP
K
Reaction score
I read that USB NICs can be a pain...and the best solution would be a wireless ethernet bridge...do you agree?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.