Finder and lost view of USB devices

Reaction score
Hi,
New mac user here (from windows), and I'm having a weird problem when I try to write files from the mac HD to a thumbdrive or an USB external drive. Classic case - downloading pictures from my camera to the external divice. I am used to the windows explorer, and it's ability to view the subdirectories on any attached (via usb) storage device (thumb, external HD). My question is this - is Finder able to view subdirectories of both the Mac HD and a USB storage device? In the same Finder window?

Also, when I've tried to see the subdirectories on the external storage devices, once I click on them to "drill down" so that I can move a file to a subdirectory, the external device (thumb or HD) often just disappears from Finder, even though it is physically still attached. Then, the only way I've found to get Finder to see the device again is to close it and re-open it. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly?

thanks.

Nathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You should be able to view all the folders on an USB drive in Finder just like you can in Windows. I don't know that you can view multiple folders simultaneously in the same Finder window, but you can open multiple Finders on the desktop and drag things between them, as well as copy, cut, and pasting just like in Windows. While in Finder, Command-N to open a second Finder window.

When they disappear from the Finder, do they also disappear from your desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Here's something I've just tried. In Finder, with the initial window open, Cmd-click on any one of the items in the L pane of the window, and it will open in another window. You can open multiple windows in this way. Then press F10 to display ALL open windows on the desktop. The problem I've experienced is that the open windows are out of focus. I didn't try dragging any items from one window to another.

OP
E
Reaction score
Man, you guys aren't going to believe this - the problem I was having with the device disappearing in Finder was because I was actually clicking on the "eject" button.......... :Oops: I guess it's called "daddy brain" with an 8 month old in the house.

I just tried the clicking in the lower payne to open up a new window - cool trick. :) So, having multiple finder windows open is how to do this file copy, I presume (?).

thanks, N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Just clicking and dragging will result in moving the file rather that copying it. Option-Click it to copy it without removing it from the original folder.

You can also copy (command-C) and paste (command-V) with the keyboard just like in Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.