Do I need Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram
It's a matter of personal taste really.. the speed difference between both of them is marginal. You may want to have firefox lying around because there are web pages that doesn't support safari.. In my case i need firefox to access my bank online account since it doesn't support safari :(.

All in all.. both browsers are badass. To be honest I only use Safari over Firefox because of the green maximize button lol.. I like how safari just adapts to the web page size instead of maximizing and taking all your window space like firefox does :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Agreed.

It's personal preference really. FireFox is a free download, so feel free to try it out.

And occasionally you will run into a site which renders better on FireFox, but it's pretty rare anymore.

I prefer Safari, because I like the way the blue bar scrolls across the URL letting you know how fast the site is loading. FireFox uses a much smaller bar at the bottom.

Many years ago, I think I chose IE over Netscape because in IE, the mouse pointer turned into a hand when you scrolled over a clickable link. It's usually very trivial things that make users prefer one over the other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So many mac users have it. Is it a must have?

Not a must have but certainly "nice to have". Also, what the other posts haven't mentioned is the wealth of add ins (plug ins) that are available for Firefox.

And as stated, once in awhile you may run into a page that doesn't render well in Safari (I have yet to encounter one) whereas Firefox with its ability to emulate IE will be fine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Add-ons like 1Password, Foxmarks, and FoxyTunes make Firefox a no brainer for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (4gig, 250 H.D. 7500 rpm) White Macbook (1 gig, 80HD), I-Pod Touch (16 gig)
i have both...but i like safari better. firefox is a heavy browser when opening multiple tabs. safari is very light-weight (take up less ram) so it is great when multi-tasking.

though you can pipe-line firefox to boost your browser d.l. speed :Evil:

though, like the other said, it's really up to you. which ever you fall into the routine of using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
And as stated, once in awhile you may run into a page that doesn't render well in Safari (I have yet to encounter one)

Here's a site that doesn't render well in Safari. Maybe it's just my MB, but with Safari, the interactive map in the lower right side doesn't work. It hangs up while loading. In Firefox it works perfectly.

MilitaryHOMEFRONT - Installations & Directories - U.S. Department of Defense - Search

It's the only one I can think of though, so it's definitely not the norm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (4gig, 250 H.D. 7500 rpm) White Macbook (1 gig, 80HD), I-Pod Touch (16 gig)
^site loads in less then a second on my MBP :p map and all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Could you please tell me what plugins are a must have/are? Thanx for so much help members.

For Firefox, Adblock is essential for the sake of sanity. Some websites are slowed down enormously by the sludge of advertisements, banners etc. A classic example is the BBC. If one wishes to view a video news clip, one must endure 30 seconds or pre-clip advertising, there is no way I know of to stop it - except Adblock.

Another useful add-on is FoxClock, whereby one can view the time of different (selected) countries showing at the base of the browser window. I also use ReminderFox.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Could you please tell me what plugins are a must have/are? Thanx for so much help members.

I can't live without Ad Block Plus on Firefox. Not only does it remove annoying ads (all of them!) but it speeds up webpages since it doesn't bother to download all of the extraneous ads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.