Recommendations for software

Reaction score
Hi new to MAC with Macbook pro 2.5ghz.

Being new to the Mac world I was wondering what users recommend as essential, useful and good software to get.

I've been told no viruses have been written for Mac, however, I notice Norton have an anti-virus, should I be getting an anti-virus for the Mac or is it not necessary...obviously looking at any anti-spyware etc.

Other appz :

-Anti-virus/spyware <if relevant for Mac>
-Internet browsers
-Email client
-Burning software (currently use Image burn on PC and does all my needs and is simple)
-Players (love Vlc player on PC)
-Registry/system maintainance software (again if relevant stuff like CCleaner/Everest)
-Music playing software (again i use Foosbar on PC)
-Music software(logic/garage band/pro tools etc)
-Newsgroup software (currently use altbinz)
-Photo organising/editors

...anything else peeps recommend that I've missed.
Preferrably freeware ...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Hi new to MAC with Macbook pro 2.5ghz.

Being new to the Mac world I was wondering what users recommend as essential, useful and good software to get.

I've been told no viruses have been written for Mac, however, I notice Norton have an anti-virus, should I be getting an anti-virus for the Mac or is it not necessary...obviously looking at any anti-spyware etc.

Other appz :

-Anti-virus/spyware > Don't need it
-Internet browsers > I use Firefox and Safari
-Email client > I use Mail others like Entourage
-Burning software >I like Toast
-Players > VLC for Mac
-Registry/system maintainance software > Try OnyX
-Music playing software > iTunes, Cog, Songbird
-Music software > No idea
-Newsgroup software > NetNewsWire
-Photo organising/editors > iPhoto, Elements, etc.

...anything else peeps recommend that I've missed.
Preferrably freeware ...

Thanks

They are not all free, but most are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
-Anti-virus/spyware
There are only a couple of trojans and no spyware, so not really necessary. You have to do some real dumb things to get infected, but you can use ClamX for free

-Internet browsers
Safari comes with the mac, but Firefox on the mac is also excellent

-Email client
The computer comes with Apple's Mail. If that doesn't suit you then Thunderbird is great

-Burning software (currently use Image burn on PC and does all my needs and is simple)
The OS can burn simple data using burn folders, while itunes can burn music CDs and iDVD can burn movies. You can also use the free Burn app, its on sourceforge. The commercial Roxio Toast is considered the best app by many

-Players (love Vlc player on PC)
You can use VLC on the mac

-Registry/system maintainance software (again if relevant stuff like CCleaner/Everest)
There is no registry to clean on a mac (one reason they are easier to maintain). OS X wil run various unix cleaning tools overnight itself, but MainMenu and Onyx are considered great freeware maintenance apps

-Music playing software (again i use Foosbar on PC)
iTunes dominates the mac music player scene so thoroughly there are few prominent alternatives

-Music software(logic/garage band/pro tools etc)
Not my area of expertise

-Photo organising/editors
You could use iPhoto, but i think there are alternatives. As for image editing there are many, including GIMP, Seashore, Pixelmator and ChocoFlop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 'Penryn' - 2,5 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - 250 Go HD - 8600M GT 512Mo
you should get an anti virus if you have bootcamp or other dual boot thingy installed, since windows is crap and full of flaws...
but you dont need one for mac, thats for sure...

OP
koastal
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

Up and running now. One quick question

How do I get the downloads to save by default to the download folder?

A lot to get used to ... still sussing out how to setup a hotmail account on with the Mac mail program. Not planning on using bootcamp...seems to me be like having an Austin Martin and sticking a caravan on the back of it ^^

Believe I am almost converted...hoorah

Really appreciate the feedback so

T H A N K Y O U

...the adventure begins...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.