Software recommendations

Reaction score
Hi all

New to Mac and just got a Macbook Pro 2.5ghz.

What software should I be looking as have used Pcs for last 10 years with cubase/vsts etc.

Understand Logic is good anything else I should consider...protools and so on?

Plus any other handy little packages/plugins for mac...will probably use MidoverLan to use some existing applications on the pc.

Should I be considering running Xp on the mac (as I believe that would be daft and slow things down, increased latency etc).

Any recommendations for soundcards that I can use on MAC and PC (XP service pack 3). Preferabbly with min 8in/8out but not budget breaking...dont need preamp/mics etc as the Macki Onyx 1620 deals with all of that.
I would like to send/return siganl paths from with in the MAC software/midi-sequencer to various outboard effect units...so routing would be useful.

Cheers in advance

Reaction score
Logic is a great choice. Really depends what you are trying to do. Since you used to use cubase for a while I would recommend Logic. Great for composing and mixing and synth programming, etc... Solid audio recording capabilities, and MIDI functionality. Plus all the plug-ins. And the environment can be a lot of fun. Plus studio comes with like 5 other programs. Best bang for your buck.

Don't put XP on your laptop. Uses up too much space you can use for other things. Hard drive space is a valuable commodity. Don't waste it on XP. If you had a Mac Pro or large/multiple hard drives in an iMac you should def put XP on one of them. It is extra space on a dedicated drive and windows is a valuable thing to have because almost everything computer related is made to work on windows.

IMO, it is better to have internal drives dedicated specifically to one OS. So at the very least have two internals to have XP and OSX. Any other way, if there is an issue and you need to reformat or do other maintenance/restoration it becomes much more disconcerting and possibly difficult with multiple OS's on the same drive. Not to mention OSX and XP on one drive would take up like 20-30GB by themselves. Then there is all of the additional software you want to use on each OS.

Depending on your budget. You could look at the Presonus Firestudio for hardware. It has some serious Ins and Outs. Or Apogee Ensemble or Symphony. If you have the dough, get apogee.

OP
koastal
Reaction score
Thank you...got Mackie Traction for the time being as it ties in with the Mackie Onyx which has jsut been upgraded with the firewire option.

Extremely easy to set up and use...sounds lovely.

Will try Logic when I get some more cash, however I would ike Protools.

Unfortunately you need either Protools hardware interface or a M-Audio product.

Nevermiond their loss i Guess....hoorah for logic ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
I personally prefer protools. You can get a descent protools rig for half the price of logic pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
I have the M-Audio ProjectMix, has 8 inputs on the real, motorised faders and works great with Pro Tools M-Powered. It's pricey but a fantastic piece of kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
I have the M-Audio ProjectMix, has 8 inputs on the real, motorised faders and works great with Pro Tools M-Powered. It's pricey but a fantastic piece of kit.

i really want a projectmix since i'm already running m-powered with a 410. i want a control surface because it's so much easier and more fun to mix tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
It's brilliant, syncs well with Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc.
The only downside to it is that you can't use it as a stand alone mixer (so if you wanted to use it for live PA sound etc) but that doesn't bother me as I never do this!
Any more questions just give me a shout :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.