Protect Mail with a Password in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 'Penryn' - 2,5 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - 250 Go HD - 8600M GT 512Mo
hey everyone,

the title of the post is pretty self-explanatory:
I still havent found a way to protect Mail with a password, and I'd like to keep some privacy when it comes to my emails.

I dont want to set up a guest account, since no one else really uses my mac enough for it to be useful -- but it turns out that i caught my girlfriend reading my emails a few times : needless to say it bothers me!

I was wondering if you guys knew a plugin or something that could help me protect my privacy in Mail?

Thanks in advance,
BS0D

OP
BS0D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks awesome, thanks a lot !

I actually never thought about writing a script that could potentially protect any application... but it's a great idea.

Thanks for the link ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It takes all of thirty seconds to check the one checkbox to enable the Guest account in Leopard.

Do that once, and you'll have excellent security for everything in your main account, from your girlfriend or anyone more serious about their snooping.

Or you could spend four and a half minutes watching that video, and then another five minutes hiding your Mail application and writing a custom AppleScript just end up with really stupid "security" that won't stop anyone from finding your mail. (All she has to do is a regular Spotlight search, and she'll find all of your mail, and be able to read it in one click.)

So, your choice. Just one click, do it the right way. Or spend ten minutes futzing around to come up with some shoddy hack.

OP
BS0D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, here's the situation:
I get on the computer and do my thing. Next minute I sit down on the couch and she gets on the computer.
then I get back on the comp for a minute, and she shows up and looks at something online in her turn.

so the guest account thing is NOT appropriate, i dont want to have to switch users every 10 minutes.
i was told about that on another forum too, and I keep saying "that solution sucks for my own particular situtation".
does that make sense?
plus i'm talking about someone who doesn't know jack about macs or computers in general, who dosent know how to search for a file (doesnt even know it's possible): she does nothing but click on the firefox icon to go online or type on the keyboard, there no risk at all.

so the password thing is GOOD ENOUGH ! I'm not looking for ultimate security, otherwise i would indeed resort to a guest account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I can see that you're determined to do it your way, so go ahead. It's your computer, do whatever makes you happy.

For other users who come across this topic, do yourselves a favor and try the guest account first. It's easy to set up, and you only have to log in once when you sit down, and log out whenever you get up. Easy setup, no disruption while your at your computer, and protects you against everything from nosy friends to determined laptop thieves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.