Can I highlight text in Preview for Tiger? Are there better PdF programs outhere?

Reaction score
I read a lot of PdF's on my computer as a grad student. I need to highlight text and make notes, but i don't seem to be able to do that with Preview (on a tiger operating system). Am i missing something? I hate using that red oval for marking text.

in general, are there better programs to download for using and taking notes on PdF files?

as always, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You can highlight and annotate PDF documents in Preview, in Leopard. Tiger's Preview isn't very powerful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Preview in Tiger gives you just the two forms of annotation, Text and Oval. Leopard adds rectangles, lines, and arrows.

You can download Adobe's PDF reader as well. It may just frustrate you enough to go out and buy Leopard.

OP
O
Reaction score
Any options if i stick with Tiger?

I have no need to change from Tiger so I'd rather not do it just for this. Is Adobe my only hope? Are there other programs that might be better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Indeed there are other programs out there. If no one replies by tomorrow I'll list out a couple of them. Till then Google is your friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
If I remember right, in Tiger you can hold down the option key and drag a box over text to select it, then either copy the text or drag and drop it into Textedit.

Reaction score
I read a lot of PdF's on my computer as a grad student. I need to highlight text and make notes, but i don't seem to be able to do that with Preview (on a tiger operating system). Am i missing something? I hate using that red oval for marking text.

in general, are there better programs to download for using and taking notes on PdF files?

as always, thanks!

Try this out in preview, rename the pdf and then save it. Try to edit it then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Try this out in preview, rename the pdf and then save it. Try to edit it then.

Thanks for the input and might come in handy for someone down the track but this thread is 2 years old brad :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.