Macbook idling at really high temperatures

Reaction score
For some reason my Macbook has started idling at really high temperatures. Right now the only thing I have open is Firefox and the CPU temperature is 70C. No other program is open and I've never had Firefox make it reach temperatures this high. Any ideas what could be going on? This started a couple days ago, but I haven't installed anything new for at least a few weeks, so can this be a hardware problem?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
check your Activity monitor and see what processes you have going?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure nothing else is running or another process is ongoing? Select Activity Monitor from Utilities and make sure you choose "show all processes" and then look carefully at what's going on.

If all is normal - nothing running, no processes, then something may be wrong with the thermal control which sets the fan RPM to adjust for cooling. When the temperature reaches 70 C you should be hearing the Fan spinning at a much higher RPM.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.