Where's my free space on my hard drive

Reaction score
I have a iMac desktop that I purchased a little more than 1 year ago. I only have 4 GB left on my hard drive, but when I did a hard drive sweep with an application called Wheresthefreespace, it told me that I was only using about 60 GB. The capacity of the internal hard drive is about 230 GB. Where is that extra 170 GB being used up and how can I find it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
1. Run a second check with Activity Monitor > Disk Usage.
2. What's the status of the Trash?
3. Have you done an OS upgrade or Archive & Install recently? If so, you'll have a Previous System folder chocker with stuff you don't need. You can delete such a folder if you're happy that the present OS is working okay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something doesn't sound right. Are you correctly interpreting the information that "Wheresthefreespace" is reporting? I haven't used it but it looks like you have to do some totaling of the space on your own. At least that's what I gathered from their on line images.

What does it say when you double click on your Macintosh HD icon on your desktop? Is that where you're getting the "4 GB" remaining space?

Only you know what's on your HD. Music, videos, movies, etc? Are you running Windows via Boot Camp? I would tend to believe what's being reported when you double click the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.