I've switched but have a few questions

Reaction score
Posted a day or 2 ago & asked for input...got it & got my new MBP today. Very excited & happy. THX guys.

Went w/ the 15", 2.4, 2GB, 250GB....

I've turned on, got connected to net & fixed a few setting here & there.

Also purchased Fusion...loaded but now I've got questions.

Do I have to load an OS? All I really want to do is use MS Office products (Outlook, excel, ppt, word...).

I have a MS Office Pro disc that I've loaded to other PCs no problems but when I throw it in Mac nothing...was expecting it to just load but NO. Can someone help??

I'll do some searching & reading but I'm sure I'll find hints & answers to other ?'s...

Any suggestions?

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Yes you have to install an OS into Fusion.

The MS Office Pro disc wouldn't do anything in a Mac, it is not designed for it and will not run the .exe's.

OP
V
Reaction score
OK, thx. I think there is some way to transfer from existing PC as well as finding getting a disc w/ OS on it...

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
You will need a OS install disc. If you are wanting to install Windows you will need to get a Install CD or a .Dmg which is a disc mounting image.

OP
V
Reaction score
I've got a OS DVD MS Windows XP Media Center 2005...is that just as good as any to install??

Or is there something else I should try to use??

Intuitively I'd think any is just as good as another unless someone just loves one vs another, say Vista...as an example.

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've got a OS DVD MS Windows XP Media Center 2005...is that just as good as any to install??

Intuitively I'd think any is just as good as another unless someone just loves one vs another, say Vista...as an example.

Thx

Quite frankly, rather than bothering with Fusion, you should consider using Crossover. This app lets you run many Windows apps without installing or having Windows itself. They explicitly support MS Office, with some versions working better than others. Check out their compatibility database and be sure to read through the forum for each version to see the latest news and issues (if there are any).

EDIT: They just released a new update the other day with many improvements in Office support.
Compatibility - Browse Apps by Name[app_name]=ASC;curPos=50

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You will need a OS install disc. If you are wanting to install Windows you will need to get a Install CD or a .Dmg which is a disc mounting image.

Windows doesn't come in a DMG file, at least not the legal, retail version.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

You'll need either a retail version of Windows or an OEM edition for System Builders. Using a disc that came with another computer can be problematic for both legal and technical reasons.

Thx

I'd recommend Windows XP with Service Pack 2 integrated. You can pick up an OEM version from NewEgg.com for about $100. Just don't expect to be able to play many high end games in Fusion - although it can run some, the performance would be weak at best. If gaming is what you're after, you'll want to install Windows via Boot Camp.

Most of your questions are covered in this FAQ:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Why dont you use Mail for outlook and openoffice for MS office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does Crossover support games too? Like COD4?

Just to expand on what dalison said... Crossover does explicitly and officially support a few games. Many others work perfectly, mostly well, or poorly (if at all). The only way to be sure is to check the compatibility database and see the status or read through that game's forum. Oftentimes, a game will work fine with just a no-cd patch applied.

In the case of games, you wouldn't want to use Fusion anyway. There's too much overhead on the system by running Windows "in a window" along with that emulation software. Crossover offers very little performance hit since it's not actually running Windows. If a game doesn't run under Crossover, you may have to resort to using the Boot Camp option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.