Transferring Music/Photos user to user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, Time Capsule & PowerBook G4
On the same MacBook, how do you transfer iTunes & iPhotos from one user to another?

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I wa unable to find it!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Open finder>click on the hard drive icon>select the users folder>then select the user you want to move the files to>right click on that folder and select get info>under sharing&permissions should be a list of users. Add yourself if you're not on the list>make sure the privileges allow you to read and right to the file> There will be a little gear next to the + - buttons> click that and select apply to enclosed items. This will allow you to drag and drop any files from your user to any folders of the other user.

Or if you want a simple solution, just drag and drop the files you want to move into the folder that says public>drop box. But this has limitations and sometimes requires a password and admin privileges to move files around.

Hope that helped and wasn't too confusing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm an Idiot, but where are the "experts"?

All I want to do is move my iTunes and iPhotos from user A to user B on the same MacBook. This is the best description I've found: iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Music folder

It does not, however, help me with the final step. How do I now get that file of music into the other/new iTunes?

For the love of God, please help!!!!!!!!!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I should have referenced this, AND, again, I am an idiot. Or, at least, I feel like one in this instance!

Open finder>click on the hard drive icon>select the users folder>then select the user you want to move the files to> right click How do you right-click on a Mac?

on that folder and select get info>under sharing&permissions should be a list of users. Add yourself if you're not on the list>make sure the privileges allow you to read and right to the file> There will be a little gear next to the + - buttons> click that and select apply to enclosed items. This will allow you to drag and drop any files from your user to any folders of the other user.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry, I should have referenced this, AND, again, I am an idiot. Or, at least, I feel like one in this instance!

Open finder>click on the hard drive icon>select the users folder>then select the user you want to move the files to> right click How do you right-click on a Mac?

There are a number of ways. If you have a notebook, you can enable "two finger tapping" for right-click in System Preferences => Keyboard & Mouse => TrackPad tab.

If you have a Mighty Mouse, hold the left button with your left finger, then tap to the right of the scroll ball to right-click.

On all Macs, you can hold the Control key and left click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Mod's note: Threads merged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Regardless of what is said and done in the world, you're going to have to put forth some effort and gain knowledge. I hope you have or are solving your problem. But maybe you need to learn how things work under OS X. It's not fun I know, but with just an hour of effort, you'll be a mac genius. This is how I started:

Apple - Support - Switch 101

Good luck and I promise, once you get it down, OS X is fantastic and very easy to use. It's just different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.