• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

After Effects, Final Cut or Avid ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.
Hi Gang !!

I'm doing a clean install on my G5 and I wondering about what software to go with for video editing ?

I've always used After Effects up until now but I was wondering what people on here use? Do you stick with one application or do you switch in-between several apps ?

This is the kind of work that I do :-

mersey

Thanks in advance,

mojo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Hey there Mojofilter. Welcome to Mac-Forums.
I do a lot of Video Editing and use a Few different programs.

The ones that I have have best are the following.
Final Cut Pro-Easy user interface and everything is layed out well.
Adobe After Effects- More for special effects that cant be done in FCP
Adobe Premiere- Just another good program.

Now I hope that I could of helped and have given you a couple ideas on what to look into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
After watching that little video that was pretty good by the way, I would definitely suggest After Effects.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.
Thanks for that, I'm used to After Effect but I was just wondering if I might be missing out on something by not using the other apps....

Stay cool,

mojo

After watching that little video that was pretty good by the way, I would definitely suggest After Effects.

Reaction score
For what you are doing in that video, After Effects is definitely king. FCP will be better for you to create videos with actual scenes (many cuts and need of tweeking frames here and there to make the cut's smooth).
Syncing video with music is very complex on after effects, but with easy going music it's ok. With a narration, FCP will be much easier. So if you want to go beyond what you already have, I suggest combining two programs: editing and graphics. :)
ps: I use both - Alan Luchini: Video Editor - Commercial_Public_Services

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.