• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bit Torrent problem nobody can solve..

P

phatsew

Hey All!

So I started using Bit Torrent a long time ago. I was disappointed because the download speeds were always hovering between 8kb/s and 12kb/s, while the upload speeds were always 5x + what the download speeds were. So I let it go. Time goes by, it becomes 1/3 of all Internet traffic, all my friends go nuts over it, etc. I want to use it again. But my speeds still stink like mad. I can't figure it out, and everyone else says they're getting 100+ k/s. Nobody can give me any pointers.

This forum is huge, anybody think they can help a guy out??

Using OSX 10.3.6 on a Dual 1.42 powermac. Azureus is the client.

Thanks!

OP
P

phatsew

I had the download as unlimited and the upload maxed at 5, but then I changed them both to unlimited. I seemed to get better speeds that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
have at least 2 or 3 torrents open to get better speeds. plus forward ports 6881-6889 to your comp if youre behind a router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
azeurus is known to have speed probllems to begin with, you should probably use bit torrent and not a client, even tomato torrent is good. but uploads should be set t 1 for minimum up and also the number of simultaneous uploads should be 1.

OP
B

benmueller

Hi all,

I too am new to Bit Torrent, and I too am having speed issues.

I've read above, and to ask a really general question, how do I max out my downloads and uploads as you are all stating to do?

I'm using the original Bit Torrent...

Sorry, I know this probably pretty basic stuff, but for some reason this whole thing has always been confusing to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ive started using bits on wheels

http://www.bitsonwheels.com/

its a bit of a memory hog, but it allows you to use different ports and change upload available without having to click through drop down menus

OP
B

benmueller

MacAddikt said:
ive started using bits on wheels

http://www.bitsonwheels.com/

its a bit of a memory hog, but it allows you to use different ports and change upload available without having to click through drop down menus

Ok - does anyone know how to change the settings using the original Bit Torrent? I read somewhere to use the "--max_upload_rate" command line but I need a little more guidance.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in the original bit torrents window, in the top right corner is a small pill, click it, the toolbar drops down, select a torrent download that is active, in the toolbar, type 1 in both fields, thats only for uploads, but slower uploading means faster downloading to you.

OP
B

benmueller

Macman said:
in the original bit torrents window, in the top right corner is a small pill, click it, the toolbar drops down, select a torrent download that is active, in the toolbar, type 1 in both fields, thats only for uploads, but slower uploading means faster downloading to you.

Ah, one more piece to the puzzle of figuring this thing out.

Not sure if this is against the rules to ask... but where do most go to find torrent files to download? I "googled" it, but didn't really find what I was looking for. It seems that for all the hype surrounding BitTorrent that it'd be easier. Maybe folks like me should stick to Limewire (less confusing!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there used to be a site called suprnova.org, that made BT easy, now there cracking down on those sites. a good one now is torrentspy.com.

OP
B

benmueller

Macman said:
there used to be a site called suprnova.org, that made BT easy, now there cracking down on those sites. a good one now is torrentspy.com.

Woo-hoo, I'm off and running! Thanks for the assistance :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.