Lower-End MBP Is A Waste of Money for me

Reaction score
I think that the lower-end MBP is a waste of money compared to the high-end MB. These are the only differences I see in the two.

>PRO has a separate discrete graphics card 9600m gt
>PRO weighs 1 pound more
>PRO has bigger screen by 2 inches.
>PRO has FireWire 800
>PRO has ExpressCard/34 slot

2.4 Macbook = $1599 2.4 Macbook Pro = $1999

Is $400 really worth the slight differences stated above? Am I overlooking something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I think that the lower-end MBP is a waste of money compared to the high-end MB. These are the only differences I see in the two.

>PRO has a separate discrete graphics card 9600m gt
>PRO weighs 1 pound more
>PRO has bigger screen by 2 inches.
>PRO has FireWire 800
>PRO has ExpressCard/34 slot

2.4 Macbook = $1599 2.4 Macbook Pro = $1999

Is $400 really worth the slight differences stated above? Am I overlooking something?

And you don't believe that whole list of features is worth 400 dollars?

Reaction score
This person probably won't even make another post, but to answer your question.

For the extra display real estate, and the dedicated graphics card. I would definitely pay the extra $400.

I guess it comes down to person preference.

Reaction score
$400 may be a little steep but the dedicated GPU is definitely worth it. Especially considering the fact that Gizmodo has no confirmed with nvidia that users should be able to swap between the cards without logging out. Not to mention, GeforceBoost should be doable on the MBP apparently.

Now, just time to wait for Apple to write the code :)

OP
P
Reaction score
I personally would make the jump too Pro too. I was just posting in the mindset of my girlfriend. I'm trying to get her to go pro as I had (I have a 2.1 MBP), yet the arguments she presented to me seem hard to rebuttal. At first she wanted to go Pro before the keynote, but because of these reasons she is deciding to just get a MacBook:

same CPU
same HDD
same Backlit Keys
same Appearance

Oh, and she also says its "cute" (small). Go figure...

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I know what you mean. When I was buying my pro. My girlfriend told me to get MB as it was smaller and cuter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I went with the Pro over the MB for the exact reasons stated in the first post. I wanted the graphics, bigger screen, Express 34 (which I actually use) and the FW800 port. $100 a piece seemed fair enough. I'm loving it thus far. I am extremely happy with how fast ZP runs under Parallels now when I have to use work-related software like my time sheet and MS Visio.

Reaction score
Yea, I love my current MPB, but the new models are so sleek. Gotta resist the urge to impulse shop.

But to reiterate... definitely go for the Pro.

OP
P
Reaction score
My girlfriend says that she doesn't need the extra ports or the extra GPU, so she thinks that she'll be paying $400 extra for the bigger screen and greater weight. I'm trying to get her to go Pro because honestly, I will find myself playing with it too. I need more reasons for her to go Pro.

>>we checked out the computers a couple days ago. The speakers are definitely louder and sound better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Well, its faster. Has More HD space and there is a whole list of things. Just go on the Apple website and compare specs of the macs and you will be able to tell her that there are tons of reasons why the Pro is Better :)

Reaction score
I think the Firewire alone is worth a lot. I can't believe Apple omitted this on their new MacBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
All these features are "worth it" only if you use it.

Reaction score
I think all of the extra features mentioned are definitely worth it. Plus, I purchased the MBP as an investment that would last me for 3-5 years. In my opinion, the MBP just seems more "future proof" as far as software updates and the ability to run future operating systems/games. I definitely vouch for the MBP though!

Reaction score
All these features are "worth it" only if you use it.

X2
I use a MBP at work but will be picking up a MB for just using around the house because I don't need any of the things listed. In reality unless she really needs the additional graphics processing ability I would agree with your gf. Why spend an extra 400 dollars on something you wont use? If you concerned about the 2 extra inches on the screen the 400 dollar difference goes a long way for a 20 or 24 inch external monitor....

OP
P
Reaction score
X2
I use a MBP at work but will be picking up a MB for just using around the house because I don't need any of the things listed. In reality unless she really needs the additional graphics processing ability I would agree with your gf. Why spend an extra 400 dollars on something you wont use? If you concerned about the 2 extra inches on the screen the 400 dollar difference goes a long way for a 20 or 24 inch external monitor....

hmm... excellent point. That is almost half the price of the new 24" Cinema Displays.

Reaction score
dont make your girlfriend spend an extra $400 when she wolnt use the express card slot, the firewire, and she probably isnt gonna be doing anything that would require a better graphics card

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.