Hotspot shield

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Hi guys,

I have the strangest problem I've ever come across on a mac. I have used anchorfree's free VPN tool, hotspot shield a few times in the last month, with no problems. If you're unfamiliar with what it does, it creates a free VPN to secure your data, particularly useful if you're using a free unsecured wifi hotspot. The company makes money from inserting a (closable) banner at the top of each website you visit (screenshot here).

However, the last time I used it, it appears to have done something crazy with safari and now every time I visit google reader, I get the banner ad at the top of the page. It can't be a cache issue, I've emptied it several times. I've reset safari, reset my network settings, restarted the computer, uninstalled hotspot shield completely, and still, I get the banner at the top. It's been a week now and I'm a tad sick of it. Only happens in safari, and only at google reader, when I'm logged in. If I log out, it doesn't appear on the login page. If I use firefox, it doesn't appear (although I never used firefox while connected with hotspot shield, so that doesn't give us much info).

Anybody got some ideas on what might be going on?

OP
muso
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Fixed - just required creating a new google account, signing in and out on it, then going back to my old one. Random, but I'm happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.