How in the world can mac mini play halo

Reaction score
This has got to be a joke...IF my powerbook g4 1.5ghz can barely play halo with a 9700 128vram card at medium settings and has to be at 800x600 to get perfect setting anything more is to slow. Thne how is apple saying that this thing can play halo i just dont get it http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/graphics.html I mean my budget gateway plays it better than my powerbook :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Because it can play Halo...just very badly! :)

P

Prometheus

I suppose it may *JUST* play it with the min gfx options on and at 10fps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Get Your Game On
Go ahead, just try to play Halo on a budget PC. Most say they’re good for 2D games only. That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM. You’d have to buy an extra card to get the graphics performance of Mac mini, and some cheaper PCs don’t even have an open slot to let you add one.

Cheap PCs with integrated Intel graphics and shared memory won't play Halo in a decent way...no matter which resolution.

And nowhere in the text is it written that the Mac mini will do so...
The text simply states that an "integrated Intel graphics" without it's own VRAM is less performant than the Mac mini's graphic chip with VRAM, which is definitely true.
Apple's messages sometimes are very subtle... :robot:

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Sexyboy said:
This has got to be a joke...IF my powerbook g4 1.5ghz can barely play halo with a 9700 128vram card at medium settings and has to be at 800x600 to get perfect setting anything more is to slow. Thne how is apple saying that this thing can play halo i just dont get it http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/graphics.html I mean my budget gateway plays it better than my powerbook :confused:

There is something seriously wrong with your set-up!

I can play Halo on my 1Ghz iMac and my daughter plays it on her eMac which is also 1Ghz, bith are G4s and both have lower end graphics (4Mx in the iMac and ATI 7000 in the eMac IIRC).

The play just as well as my XP2000 system which has a ATI 9200 graphics cards although the PC can run slightly higher resolution.

Maybe the TFT display on your powerbook is not up the the speeds? Have you tried it in on an external CRT? Does Halo recognise your card correctly, i.e are you sure it's using full hardware acceleration, IIRC Halo can be a bit dodgy with ATI Gfx cards.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.