• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Another Video Converter Question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
So I have scoured the forums and web looking for an easy to use, FREE, video converter for my video and movie files. I want to go from AVI to something that is SMALLER and PLAYABLE by iTunes and on my iPhone. I think I am looking for a .MPG4 converter? What is a good format for these types of files that I can transfer to my iTunes library, take up minimal space, and transfer to my iPhone if I want? Thanks in advance!

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I have Handbrake and it works GREAT for importing movies to my HD. But can I use it to convert files I already have on my Mac to MPG4 and stuff?

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
No good, just tried to select an AVI video to convert and it said "No valid video source found."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Video Converter for Mac.app The trial version only allows 5 minutes, which is not a lot of use to you, but at least give it a try. You may be persuaded that $35 is a worthwhile expenditure.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Yeah, and it said I had to download three other codecs or something and one of the three links didn't work. I have been using iSquint and it works fine but not so great on the file compression although it is slightly smaller than the original AVI format.

Whichever link didn't work GOOGLE the codec.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
OK, so I used iSquint to convert to MPEG4 and it works just fine. BUT when I do so and use the preset, standard definition conversion the video looses some noticeable quality but it does turn out to be a slightly smaller file. I only accomplished half of my goal: convert to iTunes/iPhone-friendly format and compress file to smaller size if possible. Is there anything out there that will do both? Or once I convert it to MPEG4 and just select the high quality rate is there another program I can use to compress the files to a smaller size to save space on my external HD? Thanks in advance.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Or what is the file format that iTunes uses when you buy movies from them? it's pretty small I remember.

Reaction score
dvd to ipod (personal used dvd's from a video store to my ipod)

I would like to know what is the best way to copy couple of my dvd's in to my ipod so I can connect that to my dvd system in my car for the kids. I need this because I am driving long distance and it is a hassle to change dvds. I have to stop to adjust or change the movies. I own all my movies. I paid them once so I am NOT looking to make illegal copies by any means. This is for personal use only as well. Please help to figure the best way to copy or rip dvds some are pre-watched from a video store. i would like to copy them in to my ipod. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I would like to know what is the best way to copy couple of my dvd's in to my ipod so I can connect that to my dvd system in my car for the kids. I need this because I am driving long distance and it is a hassle to change dvds. I have to stop to adjust or change the movies. I own all my movies. I paid them once so I am NOT looking to make illegal copies by any means. This is for personal use only as well. Please help to figure the best way to copy or rip dvds some are pre-watched from a video store. i would like to copy them in to my ipod. Thank you

The program mentioned above, Handbrake, is your friend...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
Usually just lowering the quality will compress the file further. You're not going to get a highly compressed file without losing quality.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Yeah, iSquint seems to work OK for what I want.

Reaction score
When I tried to use Handbrake it says "Handbrake could not find VLC" I downloaded that and it still says that... help??? I don't want to buy these movies again just to put on my ipod so that my kid can watch it in the car.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.