What password manager?

Reaction score
I am in the process of switching from Windows XP to a 24" iMac. I use Firefox as my web browser and use RoboForm as my password manager. I am not sure if RoboForm will work with Firefox running in OSX, so I need a Free password manager. Anyone know of a good one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Firefox has a really good built in password manager. I personally use 1Password, but it's not free, but it's a really great app :)

OP
joelw135
Reaction score
Firefox has a really good built in password manager. I personally use 1Password, but it's not free, but it's a really great app :)

The password manager is important, but the form filler is something I use a huge amount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I use 1Password for form filling also.. but before 1password I used an extension called "Autofill Forms" and then "fireform" I don't remember which I liked the best. There are several Form filling addons though. I can't say enough about 1Password though.. amazing app :)

OP
joelw135
Reaction score
Yeah I use 1Password for form filling also.. but before 1password I used an extension called "Autofill Forms" and then "fireform" I don't remember which I liked the best. There are several Form filling addons though. I can't say enough about 1Password though.. amazing app :)

I love RoboForm and I hate to be without it. I love the way it pops up at a web page with a password making it very simple to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I also was a Roboform user and have found 1Password a great replacement.

Reaction score
I have 1Password, but haven't really used it much, since the built-in password management in Firefox is so good.

OP
joelw135
Reaction score
I have 1Password, but haven't really used it much, since the built-in password management in Firefox is so good.

I guess I will use the Firefox manager and the form filler from Google until I either buy something new or RoboForm comes out with their OSX version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I like the fact that 1Password protects my passwords with an additional "master key".

It prevents access all of your stored passwords unless you unlock them with your master password. You can then tell it to enable all passwords for x hours before it prompts for the master password again.

It's just an extra layer of protection that I appreciate since I use my macbook in public a lot and wouldn't want to have access to all my auto-logins if it's stolen or lost.

OP
joelw135
Reaction score
I like the fact that 1Password protects my passwords with an additional "master key".

It prevents access all of your stored passwords unless you unlock them with your master password. You can then tell it to enable all passwords for x hours before it prompts for the master password again.

It's just an extra layer of protection that I appreciate since I use my macbook in public a lot and wouldn't want to have access to all my auto-logins if it's stolen or lost.

When I first became paranoid I used a biometric fingerprint reader for all my passwords and loved it. But it became troublesome when I switched to XP and the driver and software didn't have a free upgrade. They raised the price to where it wasn't worth it. I wonder if there is a good alternative for OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, interesting idea, but I'm not that paranoid ;)

Plus I would need something that is easily portable...

OP
joelw135
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting idea, but I'm not that paranoid ;)

Plus I would need something that is easily portable...

I consider myself to be a safe computer user, and since I do banking on line, I guard my passwords well. Maybe that does make me a little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I consider myself to be a safe computer user, and since I do banking on line, I guard my passwords well. Maybe that does make me a little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend!!

It's definitely a good idea to take as many precautions as you can - especially when access to bank account data is involved!

But for everyday website passwords the fingerprint scanner would probably be more hassle than I'd be willing to transport. I'm afraid I don't know of any alternative drivers though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.