how do i maximize a window?

Reaction score
hi all,

probably the simplest question ever, but how do you make the currently selected window fill the monitor?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Simple answer: You don't.

The "maximize" function in Windows is "dumb" and only fills the screen.
The "maximize" feature in OS X is "smart" and makes the window the largest size required to display its content. Press the green button in the top left corner of a window to invoke it.

So Safari for instance will resize the window to fit the current webpage. Any larger (or full-screen) and it would obscure any other windows (e.g. the downloads window, iChat etc.).

It's something a lot of switchers don't like at first, but once you get used to the way OS X is designed to be used, you learn to appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white, 2.4GHz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive
:D Thanks for that, I was wondering the same. :D

OP
H
Reaction score
yes i see. i didn't realise what that button did. it seemed to have a life of its own.

now i see the logic, it's kind of cool. and i'm a windows fan.

cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
hmm...

actually i don't find it that good for file browsing, since it only gives you the bare minimum. you have to keep pushing the button every time your window needs to be larger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
hmm...

actually i don't find it that good for file browsing, since it only gives you the bare minimum. you have to keep pushing the button every time your window needs to be larger.

Windows remember their sizes, so you shouldn't be punching that button too often. Once you get a folder (your home folder, for example) set to its proper size, it should stay that way. There are also default window settings you can set as you like it.

Reaction score
I just grab the corner and drag it to "fill the screen" cause that's how I like to surf the net is in the full size. Maybe it's just because that is what I was used to and i like it, some things change and some things stay the same and that's one of those things that has stayed the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I just grab the corner and drag it to "fill the screen" cause that's how I like to surf the net is in the full size. Maybe it's just because that is what I was used to and i like it, some things change and some things stay the same and that's one of those things that has stayed the same.
You could also use this Bookmarklet for Safari:
HubLog: Safari FullScreen bookmarklet

Just drag it to your bookmarks bar and click it to "maximize" windows-style.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.