Airport Express Dropping Out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 100GB HD
Hey everyone,
I have an airport express I'm using to connect to my stereo system, and to connect my slingbox to my network. I have it set up in "Join a Wireless Network" mode to my netgear router with wep 128 bit encryption. The firmware version is 7.3.2.

The problem is the airport express keeps dropping the connection to my router. It's fine again for a while when I cycle the power, but ultimately drops out again.

I've tried assigning a static IP for the APE, but it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Check the channel using a wifi tool such as istumbler and see if there are many other wifi signals in your area that are on the same frequency. If there are, try switching to another frequency (e.g. if you're on channel "11" and so are 3 other base stations, try switching to "5").

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
2GHz cordless phones can cause problems too.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried switching the channel, I tried switching the encryption type, tried setting a manual IP, there are no phones near it, still dropping out. This last time it dropped mid-use, I'm starting to regret buying this thing. Anymore suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you running it in mixed mode (i.e. b,g & n?) Try just using g if your devices all support it...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it out. Turns out my router was dying. I figured it out when other devices started dropping out randomly too. Got a new router and everything works flawlessly. Thanks for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.